Trouble with USB enumeration (winXP laptop)

Duggle

Hi,

Ive built two core32 PCB's which work fine on my WinXP desktop PC (BTW; thanks TK, SmashTV, and contributors!)

However, on my laptop the cores enumerate as "USB Audio Device" in device manager, but no midi ports are visible to applications.

I first connected the cores using USB power and I suspect something went wrong with the initial driver-to-usb-port binding.

Ive selected "uninstall" and upon reconnection the Found New Hardware dialog appears, I choose automatic installation. No change.

I'm now using external power with the laptop. Is it possible this (poor usb bus power)corrupted the initial driver binding?

How to change/reinstall the driver?

Many thanks

[edit]to clarify: the core32 is powered by external power adapter now, but not initially.

Edited by Duggle

Good news is I'm able to happily learn/develop mios32 stuff on my desktop machine.

Bad news is I still cant run the cores on my laptop .

Ive tried uninstalling using this: USBDeview.exe from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

When I reconnect the core32, I get "found new hardware", and when I choose install automatically the only file transferred is "ksolay.ax" when I do the same on my desktop machine I notice "stream.sys" getting copied. So it seems the core32 on my laptop is being recognized as something it isn't, or something else.

I tried uninstalling device drivers for the usb ports themselves without success.

I've got the same (similar?) problem but no solution :-/ On my HP laptop, there's an USB Audio Device, but without any Midi ports. Don't know about related file names, but I've already tried various things like completely removing any related registry entries from previous installation attempts etc, with no success. All works fine on my other computer, both are running XP with auto updates enabled...

I've got the same (similar?) problem but no solution :-/ On my HP laptop, there's an USB Audio Device, but without any Midi ports. Don't know about related file names, but I've already tried various things like completely removing any related registry entries from previous installation attempts etc, with no success. All works fine on my other computer, both are running XP with auto updates enabled...

Hmm... mine is a HP as well.

I'm thinking that instead of opting for "Automatic" but instead "Install from location" which contains an *.inf file then it would be possible to force the correct binding, but his is beyond my expertise.

• 3 months later...