Testing SIDs with the Sammich, is it safe?

rumpelfilter

I have this old C64C that appears to be perfectly working, except for the sound (no sound coming out of it whatsoever). Could be a fried SID but also something else, I've been told. So I would like to take out the SID from the C64 and put it into the Sammich to see if it works there. Now my fear is that a broken SID could break something in the Sammich... is that possible?

If the SID isn't killing the C64, then it probably won't kill the sammichSID. I haven't heard of a case where a dead SID could damage the PCB it is in, so it should be safe. I would recommend testing it quickly, if you don't hear the bootup sounds, disconnect power immediately, just in case.

The SID was working fine! it was the C64... Think I'll sell it for parts.

I could change all the caps on it and see if it solves the problem, but then, I have a working C64 and a Sammich... I don't need another one... maybe someone else could get it to work.

btw. I read that some people suggest replacing all the electrolytic caps on the C64, should I do it on my working one?