SEQ V4 push-encoders with value-entry-acceleration?

Hawkeye

Sorry for asking many questions...

Methinks I read somewhere (ofc, can´t find it now), that the SEQV4 supports pushed-down rotary encoders to speed up the value input deltas while turning the knobs (identical behaviour to a machinedrum). Is that true?

Which encoder type (manufacturer/name) would you suggest, that supports pushing-and-turning? And to which DIN pins should those "push buttons" be connected?

Thanks,

Peter

TK used ALPS STEC16B a long time ago... so this exact model has been used in MIDIboxes for a long time. The same design has been made by other manufacturers... e.g ECC (available via Voti.nl) and Soundwell (available through bulk orders from me). I was selling the Soundwell ones wholesale in MB-SEQ/MB-6582 parts kits and then using them in sammichSID kits (until they ran out).

Now Bourns make them (or at least they are new to Mouser), and are FAR cheaper than the Alpha brand I'm currently buying for sammichSID kits.

AFAIK this one (Mouser p/n 652-PEC16-4220FN0024) is the exact same design as I've used and made available... it's a good size for using 10mm gap between PCB and a 1.5mm-3mm panel. This doesn't have a switch.

Mouser p/n 652-PEC16-4220FS0024 is the same design but with a switch.

Note that I haven't actually got samples of these yet, but I'm pretty confident they're exactly the same as the ones I've been using in my control surface designs, therefore I'm going to buy 50 for the last batch of sammichSID kits.

As for connecting to a DIN pin... I haven't connected my last revision of MB-SEQ PCB (with support for encoders with switches) to a Core32 and configured MB-SEQ V4 to use the switches. Maybe someone else has and can comment. What you should do, though, is wire all those switches in parallel and connect them to a single DIN pin. It doesn't really matter which DIN pin, because you can configure that in the DIN table. There is already a "FAST" button on the standard control surface, but I don't think you'd want the encoder switches to be the same as this button... maybe instead you only want a temporary "fast" function which increases the speed only while the encoder switch is pressed... that might require a bit of coding somewhere if TK hasn't implemented that feature (though he typically does implement cool features like this if you ask nicely!)