VFD in SID -- Any caveats?

Guest Da5id

I'd love to use a VFD in my SID instead of an LCD, and I've found a number of models online that are HD44780 compatible, so I know it'll work, but I'm wondering if there might be noise issues with the audio circuitry? I remember this horrible old VCR I had that we never bothered to set the clock on, and every second the VFD display would turn on, then off, then on, etc. and there was a nasty hum that came out the audio outputs every time it turned on.

Was my VCR just on crack, or do these things inherently throw out alot of EM noise? Or maybe was it causing noise via the power supply, like a dirty inverter?

Any ideas, thoughts, etc? It sure would be neat to use one!

Ok, DigiKey has some:

20x2, 5mm chars: DigiKey# 286-1004-ND (Noritake# CU20025ECPB-U1J ) for $58.80 US

20x2, 9mm chars:  DigiKey# 286-1006-ND (Noritake# CU20029ECPB-U1J ) for $95.80 US

Both are non-stocked items.

And...

40x2, 5mm chars: DigiKey# 286-1009-ND (Noritake# CU40025SCPB-U1J ) for $92.20

Well, the Noritake on ebay is nice, but I don't really need a 20x4 for a SID. SID doesn't have support or use for a display of this stature, does it?

And as to the ones at allelectronics, I can't seem to find much info on those. Wile Futaba does make a line of HD44780-compatible VFDs, the  M202LD01DA are not mentioned anywhere on their site. I'm guessing they were a custom job. I have just emailed them requesting info, and I'll post anything of use I get from them.

Thanks!