step edit and pattern behavior MBSEQ V3.4

Markus

Hi to all midiboxers out there,

I still managed to build the MB SEQ V3.4 electronics and everything is working so far...

I do not have a nice looking case at the moment and everything is looking like a ratsnest but I will be able to make myself familiar with the MB SEQ functionality (and indeed have lots of fun with the device from their first sign of life :ahappy: )

Even I`m at the beginning of the learning curve for MBSEQ there still came some questions up:

1: Within the step edit screen; once an encoder will be moved the corresponding step will be activated...but is it possible to edit the step lets say "in background" (setting note, velocity, length etc. and once finished the step will be activated by pressing the corresponding button )?

2: Within the pattern screen; I noticed that a new pattern will get active immediately once loaded. Is it possible to let the current active pattern play until its last note has finished and then continue with the 1st note of the new pattern?

Hope these questions are not too noob and I assume this behavior is already included and can be easily activated with a flag somewhere, as everything seems to be already included by our mastermind...

However, many thanks for this great project and greetings to the whole community

Markus

Hi Markus,

congratulations for (almost) finishing your MBSEQ! :)

1: Within the step edit screen; once an encoder will be moved the corresponding step will be activated...but is it possible to edit the step lets say "in background" (setting note, velocity, length etc. and once finished the step will be activated by pressing the corresponding button )?

No, such an edit mode isn't supported (and impossible with the PIC based MBSEQ due to very reduced RAM resources).

2: Within the pattern screen; I noticed that a new pattern will get active immediately once loaded. Is it possible to let the current active pattern play until its last note has finished and then continue with the 1st note of the new pattern?

Yes: inside the option page enable the "SyncPatChange" function.

It also allows you to specify the measure size (by default 16 steps)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

thanks for clarification.

No, such an edit mode isn't supported (and impossible with the PIC based MBSEQ due to very reduced RAM resources).

Ok, was worth a try....

Means, also in V4 this is neither implemented nor planned?

Yes: inside the option page enable the "SyncPatChange" function.

It also allows you to specify the measure size (by default 16 steps)

Great! Even I read the manual a dozen times I think I need to read it a dozen times more before asking... :whistle:

best regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

Ok, was worth a try....

Means, also in V4 this is neither implemented nor planned?

Since I find such a usage a bit cumbersome (I wouldn't use it by myself), I would only add such a mode if multiple people request it.

Each new mode increases the complexity (and hard to find functions - as you already noticed).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

Since I find such a usage a bit cumbersome (I wouldn't use it by myself), I would only add such a mode if multiple people request it.

...fully agreed.

Maybe I`ll describe the reason why I came to this idea and maybe there`s already a workflow how to overcome this idea of a "background edit" mode....

So, lets say a sequence is currently running and sounds nice, now lets say G1T1 contains the bass line all with major notes (C-3, G-3, G-2, F-3 whatever sounds nice), now want to vary the bass line a bit and thus starting to fumble on a rotary encoder to change the F-3 note to a F-4 but the actual step came along in exactly that moment when I´m at E#4 and this sounds terrible. So I thought it might be a good idea to finish all modifications (note, length, vel etc) and activating the step aferwards without the risk to play some terrible tones between...

However...

Thanks& best regards

Markus

So, lets say a sequence is currently running and sounds nice, now lets say G1T1 contains the bass line all with major notes (C-3, G-3, G-2, F-3 whatever sounds nice), now want to vary the bass line a bit and thus starting to fumble on a rotary encoder to change the F-3 note to a F-4 but the actual step came along in exactly that moment when I´m at E#4 and this sounds terrible. So I thought it might be a good idea to finish all modifications (note, length, vel etc) and activating the step aferwards without the risk to play some terrible tones between...

Oh, probably you haven't experienced the Force-to-Scale feature yet, which ensures that the sequencer will never play a terrible note.

In distance: by changing a parameter slowly, the audience will hear some interesting variants - always in scale.

See this video as an example:

(at 2:00 pp)

Although I'm not editing steps directly here (I'm using some different LFO/Echo parameters instead which are not supported by MBSEQ V3), but the effect is similar if you live-edit a common sequence.

Best Regards, Thorsten.