Hex uploads to Midibox SIDs not working

pingosimon

I have two MB6582 and one sammichSID, all with these problems. I used to be able to upload hex files to each of these synths successfully. The only thing that's changed is I got a new computer (Mac OS 10.6.4, before was 10.4.9). My MIDI interface is an M-Audio Firewire 410.

EDIT: I just hooked up my old computer, and was able to upload a hex to the Sammich.

In MIOS Studio, sometimes I get the message:

No response from MIOS8 or MIOS32 core!

Check MIDI IN/OUT connections

and Device ID!

And sometimes I get

Operating System: MIOS8

Board: MBHP_CORE or similar

Core Family: PIC18F

Application is up & running!

It seems to be random which of those I get. I just keep pressing "query" and it changes.

Every time I try to upload a hex file I get either (from most frequent to least frequent)

Upload aborted due to error #3: Checksum mismatch

or

Upload aborted due to error #11: MIDI IN Overrun Error

or

Upload aborted due to error #1: Less bytes than expected have been received

Edited by pingosimon

Upload aborted due to error #3: Checksum mismatch

or

Upload aborted due to error #11: MIDI IN Overrun Error

or

Upload aborted due to error #1: Less bytes than expected have been received

Hi,

sounds as if it is a transmitting problem.

First try to alter the setup/settings of your midi adaptor.

Second try to alter the setting of your software. (buffersize etc.)

Best regards

clem!

What is manual mode? I'm using MIOS Studio 2.1, and I don't see any options for delay time. The control panel for the Firewire 410 has absolutely no options to configure the MIDI ports.

I tried an older driver. Same result, so I updated back to the newest one.

Finale and Pro Tools can play the synths just fine, which leads me to believe there's nothing wrong with the interface's MIDI out. I can also plug my MIDI keyboard into the interface, and input notes into Finale and Pro Tools that way, so the interface's MIDI in must be ok, right?

Edited by pingosimon

I have zero experience with Mac, but I know that it sometimes Macs don't play nice with MIDIbox and sending/receiving SysEx... but I thought that was when using a Java interface (i.e. what MIOS Studio 1 used).

Let's say it's not properly sending/receiving SysEx, not flushing buffers when it should, truncating/splitting up SysEx... etc. then you will get this intermittent working behaviour.

Maybe you can upgrade/downgrade the M-Audio Firewire 410 driver. It might be a newer driver with the new OS. Newer doesn't always mean better.

I tried a few drivers. My OS REALLY doesn't like the older versions. Programs crash when I use them. M-Audio says there are no older drivers available, and I can't find the exact driver that I use with my old computer. I'm currently sending emails back and forth with them. Last thing they told me was to use the program MIDI Monitor to test MIDI in and out.

I still don't see why the driver would be the problem. It works fine in every other way, including sending and receiving MIDI messages to Pro Tools and Finale.

Another symptom(?): After MIOS Studio fails to do something (when it does't see the synth when after press "query" or when a hex upload fails), my synth reboots.

I need to find someone with a firewire port on their computer, or their own MIDI interface. Or at least I WILL need to next time my firmware needs an update.