Just finished my MB-658s but issues with 6581 chips

Rave-TZ

I have 8 SIDs installed, went with option B for the PSU since I'm using a C64 power supply. SIDs 1-6 are 6581s and its set to 12v while 7 and 8 are set to 9v for the 8580s. I hear a quiet high pitch tone with SIDs 1-4 but no tones from MIDI thru the SID. SIDs 5, 6 no tone, no sound. 7 and 8 work fine. SIDs 1-6 get very warm, almost hot to touch. 7 and 8 just stay warm, not hot (guessing due to 9v VS 12v). All cores are responding to MIOS Studio. Any ideas what I can try? Very new to this.

Edited by Rave-TZ

Have you measured voltages without SIDs plugged in, as described in TKs build document?

If so, you could move the 8580s to 1 and 2 (set to 9v before!) etc and test the output circuits.

It is normal that 6581s get warmer than 8580s. You can add passive heatsinks (see my photo tut for parts link) if you feel uncomfortable about it.

did you try with fewer sid chips, maybe a psu problem when fully loaded? try with two 6581 in 1 and 2...

Still no notes. Im using the virtual keyboard in MIOS Studio. Ch1 produces notes on sid 7,8 before I pulled them.

Retested voltage, test tones. All check out. Can I get a quick bullet point procedure list on uploading?

I've uploade MIOS v1.9g for PIC 18F4685 to core 1 (although I believe the cores already had this due to the sticker on them saying "BSL V1.2b MIOS v1.9g")

I then uploaded setup_mb6582.hex to each core.

The cores are installed in the correct device id order (0-3)

Is there any other apps I could test core 1 with? Maybe an asid player? Kinda blind without a control surface.

random mental output:

* Do the 6581s now work in core 4/sid 7+8?

* I don´t know how the 6581s behave, but have you jumpered the audio in headers, so that the sid audio in pin is grounded - on the 8580 i get some static noise or 50hz hum if left open, but not as extreme as you mentioned.

* Are your cores installed in the correct order - 0 right ... 3 left?

* Have you uploaded the same (newest version) of mb6582.hex to each core in mios studio, setting the midi jumper on the baseboard and the address in mios studio so that the right core receives midi data?

Edited by Hawkeye

6581s work on slots 7 and 8. Test tone works on all 8 slots without sids and with on 7 / 8. Removing all cores but 1 produces no difference. Swapped 585s and caps with core 4 to 1, no effect, tried another c64 psu, no go. Checked for bridges, nothing. Voltage on cores check out. mbsid ver 1.9g updated, cores in correct order

Edited by Rave-TZ