Using PIC18F458 in core module

Wilba

Hi,

I couldn't find any PIC18Fxxx suppliers in Australia so I ordered a PIC18F458 from Futurlec (they didn't have PIC18F452 chips in stock) and the datasheets are practically identical. The only differences I can see are a CAN module and "enhanced" CCP module (ie. extra features on the PIC18F458 ).

Anyway, this was before I was convinced I should not try to reinvent the wheel and go 100% with MIOS.

Now if I had the source to MIOS, I could just open it up in MPLAB and validate that it will work on the PIC18F458 (ie. recompile with different inc file if need be).

But since I can't do that, I'll have to just plug it in and see what happens, but then if it doesn't work, I won't know if it's my board, or my programmer not working, or the fact that I'm using a different PIC.

Hmm...

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Wilba

Farnell sell pic18f452 for around $30Aus, just ring their tech support, and ask the part number, or find it on-line, then make a phone order (you can pick up at the trade counter if you don't have a credit card)

much cheaper is a company in NZ, who will mail order to Australia, I think they were called PMB. (correct me Rowan, if you see this)

anyway, do a forum search on "Australia" to find more local info useful to you! ;)

Which area are you from? (I'm in Sydney)

ps I have the farnell p/no. here somewhere, if I find it soon,  I will post it here...

Thanks all for the other supplier sources... I was actually hoping someone else had tried using the 458 before and would tell me it should work... I guess I'll just try it and see what happens!

The reason I got the PIC18F458 from Futurlec was cos it was US$9.90 and only US$3 postage to Australia, Canada, EU, UK, USA. That's better than I've seen anywhere else. They list the PIC18F452 (US$8.90) but it's currently not in stock. Futurlec were REALLY fast in getting the order to me (package was shipped from Thailand, actually)... and they have cheap LCD modules too and a very cheap PCB manufacturing service (although you need Protel files).

Next time I'll just wait till they get 452's in stock and order them instead.

http://www.futurlec.com

can't get free samples to Australia, via the on-line form at least...

I've answered my own question - the RAM layout is slightly different so although in theory you could get MIOS running on a 458 (by changing the source), the binary probably won't work.

Should have just ordered 452's in the first place... my mistake.

• 2 weeks later...