Testing 2x8580 with a Core with setup_6581.hex..?

jjonas

Hi,

I'm trying to integrate a second pair of SID into my MBSID, but so far I haven't been able to get the slave core SIDs working. The LCD shows that the slave core is there, I can switch to editing that etc., but there's no sound. For example, with super poly sounds for the two cores every second note produces just silence. Anyway, is it justifiable to think that the cores are connected properly..?

I'm going to test the slave 8580 SIDs first to see whether they're working. Can I do it by simply connecting them to the master core's J10, which is running two 6581s (and the appropriate setup_6851.hex), while feeding them the correct voltage (9V)..? The SIDv2 walkthrough ('Testing the SID module' section) says that "the only difference [between setup_6851.hex and setup_8580.hex) is the filter calibration value which will be written into the ensemble BankStick during formatting (6581 uses range 000..FFF, 8580 range 000..600)."

What are the practical implications, if I were to try what I've described above? Or is it advisable at all..?

The other option is to reprogram the slave core with ID 0 and test it as a master core, but that's a bit complicated at this stage because I've already soldered the MBNet connections between core-slave onto the pins of J15 of the slave, and I'm not sure whether the connector to the LCD I'm using fits onto the pins with solder anymore.

Or maybe there's some software setting that I'm unaware of..?

I'm going to test the slave 8580 SIDs first to see whether they're working. Can I do it by simply connecting them to the master core's J10, which is running two 6581s (and the appropriate setup_6851.hex), while feeding them the correct voltage (9V)..?

Yes.

The SIDv2 walkthrough ('Testing the SID module' section) says that "the only difference [between setup_6851.hex and setup_8580.hex) is the filter calibration value which will be written into the ensemble BankStick during formatting (6581 uses range 000..FFF, 8580 range 000..600)."

What are the practical implications, if I were to try what I've described above? Or is it advisable at all..?

You will get a slightly different filter cutoff range for the existing Ensembles which were initialized for 6581 use, but you can then change the Ensemble to match the default 8580 settings and there would then be no difference.

The good news is that the slave core (and I think the MBNet connections) are working properly; I tried the master core's 2x6581 set with the slave core, and they work ok. So effectively that narrows the problem down to the slave core's 2x8580 set.

The bad news is that when I try the 2x8580 set with the master core, it produces the following result: when switching the MBSID on, the display is all random garble (and no start-up sound). Pressing the buttons and turning the datawheel seem to do something besides producing more random garble on the screen, I think the functionalities do work: e.g. I memorized the button-datawheel combinations of how to get to the 'produce random sound' screen, and the lights on the CS change in an expectable manner when I execute the 'generate random sound' thing. But still no sound.

What I'm wondering is whether this description can give some clues to those with a higher level of consciousness as to what the problem might be :-) I'll keep working on it though, and report back if there's any progress.