A virtual band in a box

Hi all:)

Just found out this fantastic forum today:)

Still new in this area, forgive me of my ignorance:)

I have this concept of joining an electric instrument and a MIDI device.

With this device, a musician can play alone with a virtual band's support

The MIDI device will read the chords(something like guitar chords) from the SD card, just pure chords without anything extra.

Then this MIDI device will the read the chords out and generate some improvisation(somewhat a preset sequence of notes like virtually playing by a band) to the chords to suit some modes as follow:

1. Rock

2. Jazz

3. Unique

4. and more...

Can we call that MIDI device as a MIDI sequencer?

Will LPC1769 micro controller be able to process that fast enough to make it live?

Micro controllers aren't able to do parallel processing right?

Is it possible to implement such system?

Edited by 0705224

Welcome aboard,

* It is possible to create such a unit using the LPC1769 (and it is fast enough for this task) but it would require custom programming for it. Have a look in the MIOS32 coding tutorials section on ucapps.de - fine examples there.

* You can call it sequencer, albeit it is not a classical one (pattern storage etc)

* There is no big difference in programming between a modern pc based cpu and and the microcontroller used on the LPCXpresso. MIOS32 comes with an underlying "realtime" layer that allows for near-parallel operations and provides modern concurrent programming tools such as mutexes.

Edited by Hawkeye

MIOS32 by TK is a layer ontop of RTOS ("real time operating system"), which was ported to the ARM microprocessors.

To create code for it (i.e. realize your project), you will need time, C experience, a set-up cross-compiler-toolchain and some beerz :)

Enjoy!

Edited by Hawkeye

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, i have the feeling you may not yet be ready for the project. Please be aware that it involves

* adding/soldering connectivity components to the the lpcexpresso to have MIDI IN/OUT and/or USB

* programming the microcontroller in C according to your requirements

I would highly recommend to start off learning with a "common" MIDIbox project, like a MIDIbox SID or SEQ. If you feel confident, then refine your requirements, sketch up the user interface for your custom midibox, think about the code structure and then start.

Best regards,

Peter

PS: regarding your question - a possible setup would be to connect a MIDI keyboard to the MIDI IN of the LPCexpresso and connect a MIDI sound generator/synth to the MIDI out.

Edited by Hawkeye

Thanks for the concern:)

I am aware that this is gonna be challenging for me:)

Last concern:

Can the MIDI controller(LPC1769) generates 10 types of MIDI data in one shot or in parallel (Example: guitar, violin 1, violin 2, cello, viola, double bass..etc to sound together like an orchestra, this is just an example) and will the MIDI sound generator/synth be able to receive it all and output these 10 sounds?

Hi there,

well the MIDI synths are probably not part of the project, you should just buy/use standard synthesizers for that... you can also use one multi-timbral synthesizer (e.g. the waldorf micro q) for that and get away with only one midi cable and e.g. four instruments playing on four different channels in multimode.

Regarding the LPCxpresso maximum midi interface capabilities... I only know the specs of the LPCxpresso predecessor, the STM32 (Core32)... It could provide you with with 3 onboard MIDI INs, 3 onboard MIDI Outs and could be expanded by a few MIDI IICs (4) to achieve a total of 7 MIDI OUTs. I guess the new platform will offer the same connectivity. Also you can of course use USB-Midi and use your MacBook for unlimited virtual instruments.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter!

You have been really helpful:)

I have another question, instead of using midi sounds, can I load up instrument samples from Logic Studio or GarageBand and play it out? Instead of using robotic midi sounds(it somehow sounds robotic to me, no offense). It sounds far more better when we load up samples instead of midi sounds:)

Thanks again;)