Midi fighter making

kid vic

I want to make a midi fighter esque controller using two PS2/1 controllers, I plan to use Sanwa buttons (kinda the standard for making these)and i want to know a few things:

1)How hard is it to swap the normal Controller buttons to Sanwa-like buttons?

2)Can i connect the 2 controller cables together as to only use one plug?

3)Can i use a usb end to connect it to my computer or will i have to use an adapter like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310267962984&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

4)will i need some sort of brain to tell my computer its HID or MIDI signals?

5)if i choose to add faders how would i connect them?

Thanks in advance!

1) should be easy

2)/3) if you put that adapter inside the enclosure, you have only one cable to connect. Or use one gamepad with usb and enough buttons or two and a hub.

4) google "rejoice midi"

5) maybe as a replacemant for the analog sticks

6) build a mb64 or mb64e instead. It's just one core8, one dinx4, some buttons and a psu.

• 2 weeks later...

A resistive touchstrip would count as a fader, i think.

If you want to have usb, try to get a gm5. It's a small diy usb-to-midi-interface.

As long as you don't use a backlit LCD, the total powerconsumption should be low enough to be bus powered.

"PCB" means printed circuit board, it's a general name for that flat board with coppertraces on it. I think you meant a core8.

You also need AINs for faders and pots or the touchstrip. The number of AINs and DINX4s depends on the number of controls.

Each AINx4 provides 32 analog inputs, while each DINx4 provides 32 digital inputs. Rotary-encoders use 2 inputs.

I'd buy a cheap LCD too, it makes configuration and troubleshooting a lot easier, if you see what the box is doing. You don't need to keep it in the final controller.

And you will need an enclosure, of course.

Edit: This might help:

mbhp_midibox64_lc.gif

Edited by Imp