LCD and scaling problems

Kvetch

Hi folks. I have ordered and constructed a core module from Mike's site, and it works! Ive loaded latest MIOS version onto it and also the Dedicated Force to Scale program TK kindly provided

I'm having some problems with both the hardware and software side of my project now. Here is a crappy MS Paint picture I drew of what I wanted to build before I started, that also includes a MIDI merger module which I am still constructing:

Rackmount.jpg

Anyway, onto my problems. Firstly I can't get the LCD screen working at all. Ive double checked its connections to the core and can't see any problems, but when I boot up the core the LCD just changes to one black top line. I have been using the force to scale without the LCD at the moment as my MIDI keyboard shows which CC values its sending so I know what scale and root note I've selected but it'd still be great to get the LCD working.

My other problem is that the scaling program doesn't scale my MIDI notes correctly. In every scale I have tried the program misses out the root note itself. For some scales instead of simply missing out the root note it inserts completely the wrong note, and in some cases on the wrong octave. For example when set to G Major, instead of simply missing out the root note when I press G on my keyboard, it corrects to an F which is incorrect for G Major. Here is an example of G Minor, where the program simply skips the G note altogether, but the rest of the scaling is correct:

GMINOR.jpg

Now here is an example of when the root note is not just missed out, but replaced with an incorrect note, and on an incorrect octave. This example is root note E, and scale set to Aeolian (Minor):

EAOLIAN.jpg

You can see instead of skipping the E this time it inserts an F which is an incorrect note, and inserts it on the wrong octave.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kvetch

Hi Kvetch,

I debugged the force-to-scale application and fixed the issue in v1_1 (-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios_download.html)

The problem only exists in the PIC variant, as I had to use different solution to speed up the calculation of the base note.

LCD: if you are 100% sure that the connections are correct (did you already try the lcd_interconnection_test application?), then it seems that the LCD doesn't work (anymore).

Could it be that you swapped two pins during soldering, and later corrected the wiring error?

(I'm asking this to find out if there is hope to spend some more time in troubleshooting)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks again TK, ill replace the software with 1.1 just now and Im sure it'l work just fine :)

Ill also double check all the LCD connections when I get home, and I didnt realise there was a diagnostic script to test it so Ill try that too. If that fails I guess just call it a dead LCD and pick up another one.

Cheers man!