Pic 16F887 in place of 16F877

alllanb

I can give you the pic18f4685 for free, you have to pay for the shipment from Poland :) .

Thank you for the offer I have no idea what that would cost. And how I could pay you???

My intention is to test the midification of old organ for church using Sonic Cell for the sound.

I wanted to get midi merge with 13 note pedals for start using keyboard(channel 1) in to midi merge with pedals added to midi on channel 3.

I was going to use midi128 16F877 hex file if it is possible with 1 din module.

I am able to get 18F chips for about $8 if the concept is acceptable to organists, only demo at present I have 16F887 chips at hand.

Regards

Allan

Edited by alllanb

• 3 weeks later...

Migration from an F877 to an F887 is pretty simple. The configuration fuses and the init routine should be all you have to change.

Differences between the two PICs -

F877/F877A - Writing to the ADCON1 SFR changes the analog/digital I/O modes for the ADC and PORT pins

F887 - Has 2 dedicated SFR's for controlling the analog input/digital I/O modes for each ADC/PORT pin (ANSEL and ANSELH). These registers reside in register bank 3 on the PIC

Even though the F887 has an on chip oscillator, it is not stable enough for the MIDI bit rate. With the on chip oscillator, there is anywhere from a 1-3% error per bit, which exceeds the allowable tolerance spec in the MIDI specification (translates to a 10-30% error per byte). From experience, I would periodically get framing errors when sending/receiving MIDI data while using the internal oscillator. For best results, use a crystal oscillator. You will have 0% error with a crystal oscillator.

The minimum xtal speed to use is 4MHz. You can use a 1MHz but you will have to run the UART in high speed BRG mode (TXSTA,BRGH = 1) and you would load SPBRG with the value of 0x01 in this scenario. Here are some BRG values for 31.25Kbps -

If TXSTA,BRGH = 0, then use -

4MHz - SPBRG = 0x01

8MHz - SPBRG = 0x03

12MHz - SPBRG = 0x05

16MHz - SPBRG = 0x07

20MHz - SPBRG = 0x09

If TXSTA,BRGH = 1, then use -

1MHz - SPBRG = 0x01

4MHz - SPBRG = 0x07

8MHz - SPBRG = 0x0F

12MHz - SPBRG = 0x17

16MHz - SPBRG = 0x1F

20MHz - SPBRG = 0x27

Configuration Word - I use this for the F887 -

;*************************************************************************************************

;*************************************************************************************************

;**												**

;**				Header Information						**

;**												**

list		p=16F887, r=dec, w=-302

include		<P16F887.INC>

__config	_CONFIG1, _LVP_OFF & _FCMEN_OFF & _IESO_OFF & _BOREN_OFF & _PWRTE_ON & _WDT_OFF & _HS_OSC

;Debug Off (default)

;Low Voltage Programming Off

;Fail Safe Clock Monitor Off

;Internal External Switchover Mode off

;Brown Out Reset off

;Data Code Protect off (default)

;Program Code Protect off (default)

;RE3 is MCLRE (default)

;Power Up Timer on

;Watchdog Timer off

;Standard Xtal Oscillator

;If using xtal from 1-4MHz, replace FOSC_HS in the configuration word with FOSC_XT (standard crystal oscillator)
You don't have to play with _CONFIG2 unless you plan to use brown out reset or you want to write protect the program ROM space from being written to in code. A basic init routine for a 16F887 running a 16MHz xtal, all ports in output mode and all ADC lines set up for digital I/O -

;**												**

;**				Initialization Routine						**

;**												**

org		0x000			;reset vector

goto		START

org		0x004			;interrupt vector

;		goto		ISR			;uncomment this line if you plan to use interrupts

START		clrf		PORTA			;init port latches

clrf		PORTB

clrf		PORTC

clrf		PORTD

clrf		PORTE

banksel		ANSEL			;select RAM bank 3

clrf		ANSEL			;AN0 - AN7 digital I/O mode

clrf		ANSELH			;AN8 - AN13 digital I/O mode

banksel		TRISA			;select RAM bank 1

clrf		TRISA			;PORTA all outputs

clrf		TRISB			;PORTB all outputs

movlw		b'11000000'		;RC0-RC5 outputs

movwf		TRISC			;RC6 UART TX, RC7 UART RX

clrf		TRISD			;PORTD all outputs

clrf		TRISE			;PORTE all outputs

;UART init

movlw		0x07			;bit rate = 31.25Kbps for MIDI

movwf		SPBRG			;w/16MHz crystal

movlw		b'00100000'		;asynchronous serial, enable UART tx

movwf		TXSTA

banksel		0			;select RAM bank 0

movlw		b'10010000'		;enable serial port

movwf		RCREG			;enable continuous rx
If you're coding in Hitech C and assuming you're using Hitech C v9.83 (the header file definitions seem to change from one Hitech C release to the next...not sure why), the same code would look like such (again using 16MHz xtal and all ports set to output) -

/*

**********************************************************************************

**********************************************************************************

**			Header Information					**

*/

/*

* Hitech C v9.83 - consult your Hitech C p16f887.h file for the correct config word

* mnemonics if using an older version of Hitech C

*/

#include <htc.h>

__CONFIG(LVP_OFF & FCMEN_OFF & IESO_OFF & BOREN_OFF & PWRTE_ON & WDTE_OFF & FOSC_HS);

/* 

* Debug Off (default)

* Low Voltage Programming Off

* Fail Safe Clock Monitor Off

* Internal External Switchover Mode off

* Brown Out Reset off

* Data Code Protect off (default)

* Program Code Protect off (default)

* RE3 is MCLRE (default)

* Power Up Timer on

* Watchdog Timer off

* Standard Xtal Oscillator

* If using xtal from 1-4MHz, replace FOSC_HS in the configuration word with FOSC_XT (standard crystal oscillator)

*/

/*

**			Interrupt Handler					**

*/

void interrupt isr(void)

{

//place interrupt handler code here (if applicable)

}

/*

**			Main Code Block						**

*/

void main(void)

{

PORTA = 0x00;		//init port latches prior to switching to output mode

PORTB = 0x00;

PORTC = 0x00;

PORTD = 0x00;

PORTE = 0x00;

ANSEL = 0x00;		//AN0 - AN7 digital I/O mode

ANSELH = 0x00;		//AN8 - AN13 digital I/O mode

TRISA = 0x00;		//RA0 - RA5 all outputs

TRISB = 0x00;		//RB0 - RB7 all outputs

TRISC = 0b11000000;	//RC0 - RC5 outputs, RC6 UART TX, RC7 UART RX

TRISD = 0x00;		//RD0 - RD7 all outputs

TRISE = 0x00;		//RE0 - RE2 all outputs

//UART initialization

SPBRG = 0x07;		//31.25Kbps for MIDI w/16MHz xtal

TXSTA = 0b00100000;	//enable asynchronous mode, enable transmit

RCSTA = 0b10010000;	//enable serial port, enable continuous rx

//main code goes here

}

Other than that, the rest of your 877A code should remain the same. Hope this helps.

Edited by Jon Wilder