questions

Guest 123

-I am going to try and build a core and sid module.Is it    safe to use a 30W iron on these parts?

-What does a midibox do that commercialy available ones can't do(aside from # of knobs)?

I think a midi controller with a random patch generator button would be really cool.Every time you press it ,you get a different synth patch,which you could save if you want.Anyone ever hear of a hardware controller that can do that?

Hi,

30W iron will be fine, as long as you have a nice tip, that isn't too bulky, so you can solder the pins of IC's. Use sockets for the IC's, and don't hold the heat on the component leads for more that 3 seconds or so. Use a ground strap if you have one, and attach the other end to something like a computer case, or a metal water pipewhen handling the IC's.

These midiboxes allow such functions of a simple hardware step sequencer, and the ability to customise the layout of the box to suit your needs. The Logic Control/Mackie control/Housten controller is cool, as you only need one unit, although I think the latest Mackie Control (commercial unit) can do all the major platforms (but not logic 5, if you are a PC user  :'()

There are always people trying new ideas, as well!

I had a software synth that generates random patches, but it was before VSTi's, etc were popular!

Thanx for your time.As far as the random patch generation goes,reaktor can do that too,but I wonder if it would be hard to add a feature like that to a hardware midibox.I have no idea how one would go about it,but it would be a great feature to have.

What do you mean exactly with "random patch generator" ?

-A feature that selects one of the preset/user patches

or

-a feature that 'creates' a new patch with random settings (like found on the access virus) ?

Both are possible in MIOS, the first should be fairly simple as it could be done with a random Bank/program select controller. (CC 0 or 32 or something, check the standards) this would likely work on a wide range of synths.

The latter is also possible but would require alot of more programming & would be dedicated to a single type of synth (each manuf uses different instruction sets (sysex & cc) for their machines.

greetz

I meant a button that ,every time you press it,it puts every cc# used at a different random value.It seems like it would work on any synth.Just imagine assigning your favorite parameters of a synth to the knobs on the midibox and then manually setting them all by hand.The random button would just create random values for you,at the push of a button.Alot of the sounds may suck,but eventually you could come up with some cool sounding ones.I think reaktor has a function like this,and also waldorf attack.