Control Surface Problems (led's 1/2 lit, buttons control wrong thing)

wicked1

I was hoping to get through the build w/out any questions, but I'm having some trouble Wilba mb-6582 rev1 pcb.

I powered it up last night and it works!! sort of.... Some of the control surface LED's never go all the way dim. Some in the matrix, and some regular indicators. When different LED's are lit (like changing settings), different ones 1/2 way light up. (And the ones that are 1/2 lit should be completely dim).

then the buttons also don't work. 80% of the time they control what they are supposed to, but the rest of the time it's random.. pressing the filter button changes the sid number and the matrix mode and the envelope mode, etc. It's very random. I've re-soldered all the din and douts. But, I must be missing something. Any advice???

Thanks!

Well, I found 2 bad LED's!! I wouldn't have thought bad led's would cause the buttons to act so crazy, but they did!

So, it is working!! I still have some partially lit LED's that should be all the way out, though. Anyone know what's up w/ that?

It's not that the LED's aren't lighting up.. It's that they are not turning all the way off.

But, I've developed a new issue.. I've never gotten the controls 100%, but now I noticed, if I press the buttons under the display, so the far left button, "select 1" it changes to sid4, if I press select 2, it changes to sid 3, select 3 changes to sid2, and select 4 is like pressing sid1. Occasionally other buttons (like the l/r) thinks it's been pressed as well.

So, looking at the wiring PDF, http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=mb-6582:mb-6582_cs_din_wiring.pdf, select1 for example is next to sid4, connected to "JD5" "D0". The same is true for the other buttons that are acting strange, the other button that gets engaged is on the same connection (bus?).

But, I have tested all the connections, and there are no shorts (multimeter/beep test).. To be double sure I took a pin and scraped around every solder joint around those buttons and led's, and also around the din and douts on the base PCB. I also swapped IC's. I tested all the diodes.

I must be missing something. From those symptoms, an adjacent button getting triggered, what would you suspect the cause? I suppose I'll start reading the din and dout pages on ucapps, too...

A little more info..

Most the problem parts are with buttons connected to jd8 pin5. So, I swapped it w/ jd8 pin 0, and the problems stayed w/ the buttons.. so now for example the button controlling "select 1", which was the matrix mode button works, but pressing the old select 1 to change the matrix mode still selects si4 and other things... I think that tells me the problem is on the control surface. I've swapped the IC checked everything else on the base board at jd8. I hate to admit it, but I didn't have these problems until I cleaned the flux off the PCB! At post 2 it was all working, other than some LED's that wouldn't go all the way out. Then I cleaned the bottom of each PCB w/ alcohol and that's when these buttons stopped working :(.

I'll continue re-soldering and maybe start replacing diodes..