Midimon with Fader channel Banking

JollyRogerZA

Hi Everyone

I have recently built a 18 channel fader controller using the brain v2 from livid. The brain v2 does not support channel banking or track transposition. I thought it would be great if I can incorporate the display of beats and bars / MTC to my fader control. I thought I could use Midimon for that as that is exactly what I need - This is part one of my solution.

Part 2 - I would like to have 10 buttons, what they would do is basicaly transpose the channel tracks by the amount of faders. So when I am using the first 18 channels on my mixer and i would need to start mixing from channel 19 i would then press button 2. I think this is called banking. can this be done using the same core that I would use for the Midimon? what would I need to do this?

Part 3 - I would like to add Analog VU meters for old school look and feel to display the master channel output and leds to show clipping.Can this be done? I can do this the analog way by building VU meter drivers and then inputing the analog signal from the output of the audio interface. Then use midi to work the clipping LEDs I thought it would be cleaner if I could implement this somehow via midi.

Also does anyone know If the CoreLPC17 that I wil use to integrte midimon can co-exist with the bain v2 by livid instruments?

many thanks

Roger

Hi Roger,

yes, the first part could be solved with the MIDImon, but note that this is a PIC based solution.

Such a MIDI monitor could also be realized with the upcoming MIOS32 based MIDIbox NG in future, see also:

Part 2: let's check first if fader banks are already provided by your DAW before deciding the best HW solution. Depending on the DAW it could even be, that you only need to add some buttons to your Brain V2. They would have to send MIDI events to switch between the banks (which are maintained by the DAW).

This is at least possible with Logic Audio and Cubase - are you using one of these applications?

Part 3: I don't see a relationship between analog audio VU meters and MIDI. Actually you would need a comparator (e.g. LM339 based) which turns on the LED when the input has reached a certain voltage level. The input voltage has to be rectified - your audio VU meter probably already has such a rectifier which could be re-used.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten

Thanks for the reply. Firstly - regarding Midimon should I go ahead and use the pic based core or rather wait for the new firmware for the LPC17?

Secondly - I use cubase. Yes I do see that I cam make banks in cubase so can I make my 10 banks there and add 10 buttons to switch the banks? What is the best method for this?

The VU meters do have rectifiers. I think it would be easier just to implement it using analog vu driver.

thanks again

Roger

Thanks for the reply. Firstly - regarding Midimon should I go ahead and use the pic based core or rather wait for the new firmware for the LPC17?

yes, I think that it will be sufficient for your purposes.

Everything else can be solved in software running on your PC.

Secondly - I use cubase. Yes I do see that I cam make banks in cubase so can I make my 10 banks there and add 10 buttons to switch the banks? What is the best method for this?

I'm not a cubase user, but somebody showed me (long time ago!) that he can switch between the banks with dedicated buttons which were sending MIDI events.

You should find informations about the configuration in the Cubase user manual.

Best Regards, Thorsten.