SEQV4: Selecting song with program change

Duggle

My set-up has an RC-50 Looper feeding a midi clock into MIDI IN2 of my SEQV4.

The SEQV4 responds to start/stop, sync very nicely.

It makes sense therefore to have song selection controlled from the RC-50 panel also.

The RC-50 will send out a program change when it's patch is changed and it has a table to determine which program number gets sent.

Is there a way to make this select the current song in the SEQV4?

Thats currently not supported, but could be added.

Question is, if it would also useful if the program change would not only select a song, but also fire a phrase of the song.

E.g. PC 0..15 would select Song 1, and fire phrase A with 0, B with 1, C with 2, etc...

PC 16..31 would select Song 2, etc...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I'm not actually sure about this....

I'm very much in a learning mode with SEQV4. I've come to it with only the V4lite as background (I think the capabilities of the SEQV4 are brilliant, btw!)

I'm looking at my rig and thinking about how to make the elements work together.

I'm not sure what you mean by "phrase"...if its a different starting point in the song.. that may be useful but it does reduce the "address space" of the song selection method.

Focusing on my current needs, the RC-50 has 99 patches (song slots) which would map well to SEQ songs in a 1:1 way, I guess.

Actually a "Song" can be used for two different purposes: it can either sequence pattern changes, or it can be used to "fire" pattern presets + mutes + tempo + mixer map + ...

This is called the "Phrase mode"; it splits a song into 16 parts (A..O) so that different setups can be "fired" from a single song.

For my own purposes, this is more useful than sequencing the patterns, because this allows to switch between preconfigured patterns "interactively" whenever I need them during a session.

Probably it makes sense to implement both options (which could be configurable in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

That sounds great, TK.

I was playing last night and referring to the manual, I'll be at it again this morning...

But I wasn't able to actually enter song mode for some reason, though I was able to enter actions to action list. I'll be looking again shortly..

It's early days configuring my rig really, the rc-50 midi implementation is very limited and idiosyncratic. If I can get it to work, it may make sense, to have the rc-50 patch change with commands from the SEQ (mixermap song actions) that way songs could be stitched together into a set. It would also (simultaneously) be extremely useful to jump to a song if it was patch selected on the RC-50. If the midi implementation on the rc-50 is not bogus this should be possible (the rc-50 has its own midi "modes"). I'll find out today.

Anyhow a configurable method of song loading, phrase triggering would be very welcome!

I was playing last night and referring to the manual, I'll be at it again this morning...

But I wasn't able to actually enter song mode for some reason, though I was able to enter actions to action list. I'll be looking again shortly..

Ha - you experienced the Phrase Mode! :)

Inside the Song page, press the Select button, and then GP9 (the button under "Phrase Mode") -> this will switch to Song mode.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there !

As an RC-50 user, I am quite curious to know how your experimentations went, Duggle...

I'd also like to be able to change songs on the MBSEQ when I change patches on my RC-50. But I've always heard that the RC-50 was being very inconsistant with MIDI... 

The ideal thing would be, from my point of view, to be able to keep the MBSEQ as Master but still being able to send a CC message from the RC-50 to the MBSEQ when changing patch on the RC-50, telling the MBSEQ to switch to a specific (matching) song...

No need to fire the song / pattern in my case as I start songs with the MBSEQ itself (actually I added a footswitch controller to start-stop songs / patterns so my drummer can do the job...

All the best,

Gaël

So far I've just been manually setting patch on the RC-50 and the song on the seq. I want to move on from this way very soon.

The midi control options with the RC-50 are extremely limited:
 (1)have RC-50 output tempo and control (midi clock "master") called INTERNAL as the parameter of "Sys:MIDI Sync" (page 75)
OR

(2) have RC-50 output tempo (midi clock "master") but receive "midi start of recording,playback and stopping(only)" called REMOTE as the parameter of "Sys:MIDI Sync" (page 75)

OR
(3)have the RC-50 respond to tempo and control from external gear (midi clock "slave") called AUTO as the parameter of "Sys:MIDI Sync" (page 75)

There is a fact about the way the RC-50 syncs that has influenced my choice to use (1) or (2),( midi clock master). That is, that in (3) it cannot actively synchronise to the external midi clock while audio recording is active. It just keeps at the same (last) tempo generated internally while recording is active. This means that sync problems could occur during long recordings (your mileage may vary, in practise).

I can confirm that the RC-50 works superbly with the SEQV4 when SEQ is tempo slave. 

So I'm thinking of using the RC-50 in "Sys:MIDI Sync"="REMOTE"

clock: RC-50 -> SEQ

patch change:RC-50 -> SEQ 

(maybe have the drummer be able to send: "midi start of recording,playback and stopping(only)", also and be able to tempo change via tap tempo footswitch, presumably I would still have control over these function with the front panel of RC-50) 

If this scenario pans out well, I guess I would request the minor change to the firmware of the SEQ to receive patch change as song selector.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: V4.070 got a new MIDI->Ext.Ctrl page which allows to assign externally controlled functions to CCs and Program Change Events.

It especially allows to change all patterns, or the phrase, or the song number via a Program Change event.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 1 month later...