Building MB6582

Johey

Right after the sammichSID was completed, the next project took place. I'm building an MB6582! My gods, that's far beyond anything I assembled before.

So I've completed the base board and the control panel. Installed one core and the two SID chips for SID 1. Works perfectly! However, I cannot get more than one core to be recognized. I've installed all PICs, but when changing the core select jumper to anything but 1, it fails. If I install the display to the current core, it shows nothing, and the MIOS Studio says nothing is there.

I have installed R80 (although it took me hours to find it). I'm using PCBs and base part kit including PICs from SmashTV if that matters.

How can I trouble shoot this?

And by the way... Many beers to jojjelito for helping me order all parts for the control panel!

Yay! Beer! flowers.png

Did you install anything beyond the bootloader that was on the chips? Like, the test tone app, updated the bootloader (can be done later), or the SID app?

You then need to move the selector and install the SID application on the other cores as well, or use the MENU key on your not yet built control surface to clone the app from the master core. See here: http://ucapps.de/mid..._manual_hw.html

I have a vague memory of doing this like so:Each core got handled the test tone app, I attached the LCD and tested those SIDs in those sockets, but this was done during summer a few years ago... Then upgraded the bootloader to what was then the current using the bootloader upgrade procedure, then the latest MB SID v2 app on core 1, then I did the cloning trick.

I could stop by if you get stuck, someone here ought to be able to walk you through this whistle.pngMaybe it could be an added step in Hawkeye's great tutorial if it isn't already there?

Better go check.

J

Edited by jojjelito

Ok, I guess there are steps I need to go through then. I have successfully uploaded MB SID v2 to core 1 and I was just guessing I could do the same for the other cores by just moving the jumper and shoot. But alright, I'll dig into the manual tomorrow (after work :( ). Thanks alot!

And by the way, the control surface is completed, apart from the knobs. Already got sound from the thing. LP filtered sound! :) I'm temporarily using an ATX PSU.

Well, no. I don't really know how to install MIOS on 2, 3 and 4. Setting the jumper to one of them does not work. When I query for the device from MIOS Studio, the MIDI out led of the sound card is flasing for a while, then the MB6582 reboots.

Maybe I should swap the PICs to core 1?

Edit: Blast me! You need to change device ID in MIOS Studio as well. :P Uploading MB SID v2 to the other cores... :)

Edited by Johey

It's alive! :super:

All cores work superly as well as all eight 8580 chips I bought from someone on this forum months ago.

Hard to find words describing the beauty of this machine with the poor subset of the English language I master. Thank you everybody somehow involved in making this possible, including TK, Wilba, nILS, SmashTV (is that a person or the name of the shop?), Hawkeye and jojjelito! Nobody left out on purpose...

I wish to present some fresh tunes in the near future... :frantics: