MBsid build with datassette & nanosid

jjonas

Hi,

I thought I'd drop a few lines on an MBSID build into a C64 datasette using one nanosid (i.e. swinSID). I had leftover parts from my "main" MBSID build; I had originally planned to build four cores, but I couldn't fit them all into the C64 case that I used. So I had all the parts lying around except for an LCD, which I now decided to get, and put the parts to good use.

gallery_8505_91_81610.jpg

I had two SID module boards from Mike, but in order to save space I decided to etch my own "double SID PCB" (and a DIN2 board as well) using the laser printer + clothes iron method. This was my first etching project and maybe the quality could have been better, as I couldn't get the other half of the double board working. So in the end I just made  it with one sound chip, I hope I have time and energy in the future to redraw a complete core + 2 sids PCB with Fritzing or something for an optimal fit.. and anyway it's good that all projects are not finished immediately :-)

At the moment the datasette insides are a mess, as I guess with most of these modular builds. But it works.

gallery_8505_91_78504.jpg

I decided to use nanosid instead of the real thing because that made voltage supply much easier – you just need one regulated 5VDC for both the core and nanosid. Plus it's less noisy than a 6581.

I kept all of the the datasette's buttons to have them push the actual MB buttons 1-5 + menu. The core PCB regulator (follow the red-white-black wires) is attached to the button plate for heat sink purposes. The two buttons on the right that are hanging loose (Up & Down) will to into the counter hole once I get my hands on a hot glue gun... the LCD is attached to two screws that I hot-glued onto the datasette cover.

gallery_8505_91_81293.jpg

Nice Build!

I like what you did with those buttons!

At the moment the datasette insides are a mess, as I guess with most of these modular builds.

I can confirm this (at least for my SID), but who cares as long as it's nice and works, when the box is closed?

Here's a video I made, I'm using a MIDIO128 to control the MBSID to play a simple tune. I have also ditched the old double SID module I had as there was some problem with the second half, and used Fritzing to redesign a new double SID module to save space; I ditched the rectifier and regulator bundle, as SwinSID can be run off the core's 5VDC regulator. Also the audio in had to go.