Can't get MF_NG to power on or respond

ekadosh

Hey everyone,

This is my first midibox project and I'm sure its something stupid, but I've been stumped for months so I figure I'd post and see if anyone knows...

I purchased 2 of the MF_NG kits from SmashTV and I can't seem to get either one to work. 

I've tried using 9-12v DC but the status LED never illuminates, nor is MIOS studio responding with it.

I'm using a basic midi-USB converter (http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard/dp/B001LJUVO4/). When I plug in the cable and open MIOS, I see tons of random data coming in. No matter what midi-in and midi-out port I choose, I always get "No response from MIOS8 or MIOS32 Core!" I've checked the Device ID and it's 0. 

When Thinking it was the cable, I also tried using a Livid Ohm as a midi-USB device but get nothing.

Is there anything I have to do or something I am missing? I'm assuming this is basically plug and play as the kit included a pre-burned core.

Thank you!

Eliav

Edited by ekadosh

Hi and welcome,

What kind of random data is comming from the core? It might be that the PIC is broken.

The status led will light up after you install the MB_MF firmware onto the core. You have to get it to work in Mios first, though.

my regards

Edited by John E. Finster

What kind of random data is comming from the core? It might be that the PIC is broken.

I'm getting streams of just random midi data and sometimes just a single note on, but normally just random midi note/cc/pitch changes.

It would be strange that both PICs are broken... Is there any way to test this? As I said, I ordered the complete kits form SmashTV so I assume they were tested?

The status led will light up after you install the MB_MF firmware onto the core. You have to get it to work in Mios first, though.

Okay, well at least thats good to know. At this point its not even being seen in MIOS so I can't get to that step.

Thank you