Do I need another MB?

Rowan

Hi

I was lucky enough to be given a faulty Fostex VM200 digital mixer that the local fostex distributer could not repair, which I am considering turing into a MB. It's got all the hardware:

9 x 60mm Alps Motor faders

57 x Buttons (44 of which are illuminated)

12 x encoders

10 x pots

2 x 9 segment LED meters

1 x Jog wheel

1 x Graphic LCD (about 64 x 192)

Power supply etc.

and a very nice case.

All I need to do is rip the "guts" out of it and add the nesaccary MBHP modules.

I'm going to have to think pretty hard before I destroy the Mixer. I already own 1 working VM200 which I use often, I can't decide if I really need another mixer or another MB.

I've got my SID working well now. All the nasty hums and buzzes are now low enough in level to be usable. Sounds great. If the unit was a little quiter I would say it is as good as my Waldorf Pulse (Sound and programablity). It will compelment my Analog mono synths well as none have HPF's (I produce D'n'B, so HPF is VERY inportant in my mind). It's currently living in a small cheap looking ABS plastic case, which will be replaced with a Aluminium 19" rack case when I have a chance. This sid was built with the mirriored PCB's that I made. by mounting all the IC on the track side it worked fine.

Till next time

hello,

this is an interesting question  ;)

Here's my opinion :

- as the main cpu board doesn't work, take it away from the case. I hope that buttons are not soldered on the main pcb  ??? (and unsolder some ic !!)

- you may try to keep the analog and digital input circuits your some other projects, or spare for your working vm2000

- Tune the vm2000 case into a GREAT-LOOKING MIDIBOX ;D with internal power supply

- put your SID rack over the mixer, and make some music  :) :)

RAF