[SOLVED] Testing connections of LCD in MBHP_CORE and MBHP_SID

alchemist

Hello,

My SID box is almost working (MIDI I/O, voltages & ground measures on MBHP_CORE and MBHP_SID PCBs), but I have no display (just a black line) and no sound.

I tested the LCD with a 40x2 and a 16x2, both results. Both are normally compatible with the default Hitachi Driver (the 16x2 comes from my Arduino kit and working, the 40x2 is from voti.nl).

So I have 2 blocks of questions

1. LCD

• For the SID applications, I should only use 4 bit data (4-7). The SID manual don't seem to tell to use a 1k pull-up resistance on D3. Do I need to do it?
  • Will the LCD display "READY" only when all is OK? or do I have to check something?
  • To use the test application, do I need to do it with or without the LCD connected?

2. SID

• Do I need to remove the 6581 for the SID connection test application?

Thank you for the support!

Edited by alchemist

Hi,

• For the SID applications, I should only use 4 bit data (4-7). The SID manual don't seem to tell to use a 1k pull-up resistance on D3. Do I need to do it?

yes!

See also http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid/mbsid_v2_communication.pdf

• Will the LCD display "READY" only when all is OK? or do I have to check something?

It will display a boot screen, thereafter the MBSID main screen when the connections are ok

• To use the test application, do I need to do it with or without the LCD connected?

this doesn't matter

• Do I need to remove the 6581 for the SID connection test application?

no

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I'm not 100% sure if the missing diode could cause a problem, but since I'm currently not able to try it without a diode at my side, please mount it.

General question: did you follow the walkthrough? -> http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_walkthrough.html

E.g. it's important that you install MIOS (the operating system) before the MIDIbox SID application, otherwise the app won't start, and also the LCD won't be initialized (so: actually the same effect that you described)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I did read the walkthrough manual, but I thought the SID aplication archive was the OS + the application.

I will also plug the diode, but I have now a MIDI IN problem : the upload fails, the MIDI Out sends good Sysexes, but when I do the loopback test (replace PIC by a jumper at RX/RX), the returning output is completely corrupted, and this was not so before. This was maybe due to my last checks, I did reintroduce "bugs" in the soldering... I was too enthusiastic, and did it late in the evening... not good.

But I learn a lot, and my motivation is really high :) But I have to manage the time to play with soldering with family ;)

Hello,

I fixed the MIDI IN problem (short-circuits around the J10 connector). Then I uploaded the OS and the SID application. Now the display shows the boot message and SID messages :smile:

But I still have MIDI In noise, still around J10 and will fix that.

This topic is "resolved" for me.

Edited by alchemist

FYI: the soldering was such a mess (done with a too wide soldering tip) that I ordered an other CORE module. I've  just built it this evening (with a fine soldering tip), and the MIDI I/O are now OK and really stable (I could upload the OS and applications many times).

The voltages are OK on both boards (CORE and SID).

I still have no sound, but I will check the interconnections and will connect the LCD display.

Edited by alchemist

• 6 months later...