Simplest MIOS MIDIBox

John_Swenson

Today I finished what is probably the simplest MIOS based MIDIBox ever.

I have a big electronic organ which every once in a while gets stuck (once or twice a year). It has a complex series of time delayed relays to turn on the power amps and aux devices (so the breaker won't blow when it all starts up at the same time), well this takes a long time to turn off and turn on, so I decided to make a midibox with one button that put out a reset message when the button was pushed.

Since I'm learning MIOS I decided to start from the J5_DIN example, it turns out you can't just change the table, because the reset message is just one byte, the J5_DIN wasn't designed for that. So I got to modify it a bit (learning 18F instruction set as well).

So now I have a core module with one button connected and one 5pin DIN and thats it!

John S.

A good beginning :)

I don't expect that somebody is able to realize an application from scratch without starting with the basics - learning by doing. Once you know most of the instructions by heart it will be easier and faster to implement (or to adapt) simple functions, but for more complex interactions between MIOS and external hardware it could take weeks, months or years to get a deeper understanding - not about programming itself, but about the process flow in the system. This is something which cannot be learned within 3 days (or did somebody learn algebra in his first school class? ;-))

Have fun! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

I've been doing PICs for a while but MIOS is the first time I've done 18F. This is actually my second MIOS project, the first had a couple buttons and encoders, but I didn't have to write anything for that, I just took a sample app and slashed and burned and changed a few values in some tables and it worked!

When I first started working with this a few months ago I ordered a bunch of core modules from Smash, I have them all stuffed and ready to go, so when the urge hits I can program one and have it working in a short period of time. At one time this weekend I had three core modules strung together with midi cables, I'd turn an encoder and watch the flurry of activity and see the end results in midi-ox.

This program on the fly through midi-ox is Soooo much better than any other environment I've worked with. It sure beats the days with EPROM PICs, take the chip out, stick it in the eraser for a half hour, put it in the programmer, program it, then back in the board. UGH!

John S.