AOUT problem

istel

Hi

I feel i ask a lot of questions on this forum, but i am very grateful for all the answers

I am currently building the AOUT (orig version) and i just finished the bipolar PSU, plus the board and tried hooking everything up to the my LPC1769 core

The LED lights up on the AOUT and i am running the AOUT tutorial, but i can't figure out if everything is working correctly. I have tried measuring the different outputs on the board with my multimeter but i get a constant reading of around -10v on all outputs, thinking this isn't correct

I am sending loads of different notes and velocity and i can't seem to get it to change values. I had first plugged it in without the bipolar PSU, but figured out that this was actually necessary for the tl074, so i am a little worried these might have taken damage? I think i will try to swap them out and test again and otherwise go somewhere i can measure with an oscilloscope instead.

Any ideas or experiences? I tried searching but couldn't find very much about the AOUT

Thanks again for all the help!

The Gate LEDs don't light up either, shouldn't they be doing that in the tutorial application? I think i should try and just run through all connections on the aout board. It might also be the 6007b shunt which isn't sitting correctly. 

The gate LEDs are a good indicator, if the Core->MAX525 communication is working or not, because an unconnected bipolar PSU or shunt won't affect this.

Apparently the communication is not working, otherwise the gates would be enabled whenever a note event is played.

Just to doublecheck:

I guess that you are trying this example: http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fcontrollers%2Fmidibox_ng_v1%2Fcfg%2Ftests%2Fcvnotes.ngc

Did you change:

AOUT  type=AOUT_NG  cs=0  num_channels=8

to:

AOUT  type=AOUT  cs=0  num_channels=8

to select the right protocol?

If yes: doublecheck the connections between AOUT module and MBHP_CORE_LPC17::J19.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The gate LEDs are a good indicator, if the Core->MAX525 communication is working or not, because an unconnected bipolar PSU or shunt won't affect this.

Apparently the communication is not working, otherwise the gates would be enabled whenever a note event is played.

Just to doublecheck:

I guess that you are trying this example: http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fcontrollers%2Fmidibox_ng_v1%2Fcfg%2Ftests%2Fcvnotes.ngc

Did you change:

AOUT  type=AOUT_NG  cs=0  num_channels=8

to:

AOUT  type=AOUT  cs=0  num_channels=8

to select the right protocol?

If yes: doublecheck the connections between AOUT module and MBHP_CORE_LPC17::J19.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I am actually running the 016_aout tutorial, but maybe i should try out this example you're giving here.. 

I have connected the J19 like this: 

J19:Vs -> AOUT Vs
   J19:Vd -> AOUT Vd
   J19:SO -> AOUT SI
   J19:SC -> AOUT SC
   J19:RC1 -> AOUT CS

That should be correct, right? It is taken from the readme in the 016_aout tutorial. 

I'll just run through things and doublecheck here and there :)

Thank you Torsten

OK, i doublechecked the connections between core and aout and it seems it is correct. 

When i turned on the core the first time afterwards, the red led on ch 1 lit up for a few seconds, but when i rebooted the core it didn't do it again. Something isn't right with the connections and i am going through my soldering work on the AOUT now.... hmmm!

I also checked all the power supply connections now and they also seem to be good - ie. +/- 12v for the tl074 and 2.048 for the max525 (i measured 2.050, should be ok, yeah?)

Edited by istel

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so i just got away from this a little while and came back with fresh eyes. The b11 and b12, b21 and b22 etc are supposed to be connected with jumpers on the male pin headers if i just want unipolar out, right? If i want bipolar i can make the little schematic shown on the AOUT page with a trimmer and some resistors...

I am now going to check out if there is any problems on the core, since i get quite irregular results when i turn on the core - for instance the red LED just lit up on channel 1 and yesterday it did on channel two. Doesn't seem like there is any bad connections on the AOUT board, so i am thinking it is something from the core..

Edited by istel

The b11 and b12, b21 and b22 etc are supposed to be connected with jumpers on the male pin headers if i just want unipolar out, right? If i want bipolar i can make the little schematic shown on the AOUT page with a trimmer and some resistors...

yes, but this shouldn't make a difference for the gate LEDs - please focus to debug this first (yes, maybe there is a problem with J19 of the core module)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

yes, but this shouldn't make a difference for the gate LEDs - please focus to debug this first (yes, maybe there is a problem with J19 of the core module)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Sure. This is correct right:

J19:Vs -> AOUT Vs
   J19:Vd -> AOUT Vd
   J19:SO -> AOUT SI
   J19:SC -> AOUT SC
   J19:RC1 -> AOUT CS

I just can't find any mentions of the AOUT and the LPC1769. This is taken from the 016_aout tutorial where it is the STM32 which is being discussed. But as far as i understand it should be the same for the LPC?