midibox sid with external vca - disable internal vca

jrp

I was thinking of adding an external vca to my sid to get rid of the sound feedthrough. This is as an alternative to a noisegate and should be controlled by the amplitude modulation from the sid engine.

I know this is possible, but would lead to the signal being amplitude modulated two times. First by the sid itself, then by the external vca.

Would it be possible to deactivate the vca inside the sid chip? So that it will always output sound at full blast just like the vcos in an analog synth?

You will find following option in the OSC menu which has to be enabled for all three oscillators:

• GSA (Gate Stays Active): once activated, the VCA envelope won't be released anymore, resulting into a permanent sound. This allows you to control the sound volume completely with the internal, or an external filter, or with an external VCA. It's an option which allows you to overcome the infamous ADSR bug of the SID.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The SID volume shouldn't be modified if the V2A option is enabled in the ensemble menu.

From the user manual:

V2A (Volume to Analog): Volumes are forwarded to external CV outputs as well (assignments have to be done in the setup_*.asm file). Note that the effective volume value behind the modulation path is taken - accordingly you are able to realize an external VCA to overcome the ADSR bug.

Best Regards, Thorsten.