Would anyone be interested in this sort of desktop case?

julianf

I recently made a case for my own LXR drum machine (sonic potions) and two things have come to mind - 

a) people often ask me if i sell the 17" desktop enclosure for the panels i cut (i dont), and 

b) a case like the one below is simple enough to be adapted very easily

Here's some photos of the case i made for the LXR - 

DSCF6736_zps2ae0cc47.jpg

DSCF6740_zps72a5bf85.jpg

DSCF6743_zpsfdb82b58.jpg

DSCF6742_zpsd3cea1cc.jpg

(screw holes in that last shot should have screws in them!)

Here are my comments about the case - 

The wood on the sides is reclaimed oak, from a timber place close to me, that does fancy furniture made from reclaimed timbers (i live in an area where 200 year old beams are common place).

I went for the square, machine drum, style look, rather than the sloped panel. I made a mock-up with a sloped panel first, but i did not think it looked as good. For such a small machine, im not sure that there is much ergonomic advantage, and i like that 'slab' look more!

The panels are gloss black anodised aluminium, with silver engraving. The key caps fit the switches perfectly, and don't fall off : )  The allen bolts are A2 stainless, and will stay shiny.
The logo is vectorised from this website. Maybe i should have added the LXR also, but i like the clean look and its contrast against the ancient oak.

Im not set up for woodwork here - whilst i can make the odd thing, i dont have the tooling for multiple copies, but, if there was interest, the place that i got the wood from would make up the cases at a price, and i could cut the top and rear panels.

So this is just a feeler.  The costing would (i hope obviously) be multiples of a lazer cut plastic case - hand made with ancient hardwoods will never be comparable with plastics, but im guessing there may be some interest in quality?

So...?

note: i was not sure if this should be in bulk orders or the seq section?

Yep I'd love one.  I spent the weekend soldering up the front panel PCB for a midibox seq and was planning on ordering a set of your panels.  A wooden case would be pimp!  

Also nice job on the LXR.  I was just looking at it on the Sonic Potions site.  The LXR is an awesome machine.

The LXR is surprising nice.  Although i built the electronics ages ago, ive only just started using it, now that its in a box.

Im surprised by the range of sound, from smooth TR style hits, right through to FM ringing, to reduced sample rate crunches.  And i have not even got into messing with the sample side of it yet.  I think its a nice piece of work, (who's designer is still on the ball with the firmware).

I reckon the minimum i can probably ask the wood place for is 5-off.  The do custom furniture all the time, but, although all it is is a simple box, i think the price will just be too high on a single unit.  I guess if there is even another couple of people interested, ill buy 5-off and keep 2 for stock.

In hindsight, this thread probably should be in group buys?  If a mod thinks similar, could it be moved?