button presses = +/- keyboard transpose?

tonedef

Okay so I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to take the current keyboard range and on each successive press of a button, shift it down by one octave. It has to be relative, because I also want an increment button as well.

I'm assuming it'd be something like:

event_button id=1  kb_transpose= current_value + 12

event_button id=2  kb_transpose= current_value - 12

Sorry if this has been covered before, (I looked but maybe I didn't search for the right terms?).  Thanks for any help!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry I've not been on the forums in awhile, but yes! If you've got some code to share, I'd love to take a look. I've been trying to accomplish this via the NGC file, but haven't had much luck. I'm currently using the NG app which does everything else I need, just not the keyboard octave shifting... Thanks Robin!

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple of ideas.

Most of my work concerns digital piano.

In addition to scanning the keys for switch changes . I scan 16 extra switches for changes.  You could use J5 to to the same.

I use a membrane momentary action switch.made by MEC with low bounce characteristics.

Here is some code for a 2 switch solution. This enables the user to to decrement and increment the value.  You will need to declare the transpose variable as a global variable.

//transpose buttons
	if(pin == 95 && pin_value == 0){//pin 95 is RH Transpose Button ie + Transpose (Higher Note)
	transpose = transpose +1;}	
	if(pin == 94 && pin_value == 0){//pin 94 is LH Transpose Button ie + Transpose (Lower Note)
	transpose = transpose -1;}	
	if(transpose > 9){ transpose = 9;}
	if(transpose < -9){transpose = -9;}

You need only one switch, but you can only advance

if(pin == 95 && pin_value == 0){//pin 95 is  Transpose Button 
	transpose = transpose +1;}
if(transpose > 9){ transpose = 0;}	

In the latter case pressing the button after 9 is reached, returns the variable to 0

Later in the program you will add the transpose value to the note number..

For octave shifts you will use multiples of 12 notes

Robin