sammichSID Application Update Frackup =(

XC3N

Hi!

I wanted to upgrade the Application package in my sammichSID and things went awry =(

What I've done:

• Connect a UM-1EX USB MIDI interface in the Synth
  • Launch MIOS Studio 2.4.6
  • Browsed to \midibox_sid_v2_043\setup_sammich_sid.hex
  • Hit Start

The upload went fine, the synth rebooted but after rebooting it has the following behavior:

• Synths get powered up, emits a pop, LCD initializes (sometimes displays garbage)
  • A series of beeps is emited
  • Series of beep is played faster
  • The LCD goes on "light show" mode
  • I've seen once the MIOS init screen stating "Launching CS" but it remained there.

Synth does not boot up at all, MIOS studio doesn't "see" it either.

The only (dumb?) thing I noticed is that I had midi clock running TO the synth while I did the upgrade, possibly inducing data "noise" in the upgrade process? (I'm not too good with sysex)

Any help would be appreciated as I fear my sammichSID will require pic reprogramming outside of its shell, which I'm not equiped for x_X

Edited by XC3N

Hi,

yes, a MIDI clock could disturb the upload.

You can recover the device the following way:

• power-off the sammichSID
  • in MIOS Studio, load the setup_sammich_sid.hex file and press the start button
  • power-on the sammichSID

-> upload should start immediately after power-on

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you TK, this worked!

However I wish this was documented somewhere :s if I had known I could just send the code without an initial "sync" with MIOS I wouldn't have attempted to remove the PIC to try and reprogram it...

Which brings me to my next question:

I damaged pin 40 (PGD) which I jury rigged with a lot of swearing involved... pardon my lack of knowledge but am I right in assuming the "repair" worked if I was able to reprogram the PIC properly?

(my shoddy repair: http://bit.ly/1wbBOfn)

Thank again! It's quite a relief to see my sammichSID working again and I did learn quite a lot! hehe

Francis // XC3N

Edited by XC3N

Great! :)

It's documented here: http://www.ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap_newbies.html

Applications can always be uploaded - if not, there is an error in the application which prevents this, but in this case you could just use the primary loader in order to refresh the code under safe conditions (just push the start button in MIOS Studio, and power-off/power-on the core or trigger the external reset by tipping ground to pin #1 of the PIC).

You can check if the pin #40 repair works by connecting the LCD, because Pin #40 is the D7 dataline to the LCD

Best Regards, Thorsten.