Is this possible???

Guest jimminy

Guest jimminy

would it be at all possible to take a unit like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031202171802206055150050977491/g=key/search/detail/base_pid/701525/

(Evolution uc 16)

and modify it with motor faders or rotary encoders or those cool linear continuous encoders I've seen here?

The price is so good I'm gonna buy it no matter what, but I thought I would ask and see.

Thanks

Guest jimminy

yer kidding...

I've been poking aound here for a long time, and it seems like by the time I buy everything to make a usb port midi controller it would cost much much more, plus the time to do it.  I love builing stuff like this from scatch, I really do, but that thing is only 60 bucks and it would be great to start from somewhere a bit further down the line.  On the other hand, if its a matter of buying a few modules, a case, and some pots, I love soldering.

Should I assume from your reply that it isn't possible to mod something like the uc-16 for use with motor faders or encoders?

Where do you want to put the motorfaders ?  If you plan on putting them in the UC-16, it is much too small, you'll have to remove the pots.  It'll be less expensive to buy a metal casing and put motorfaders it it.  The midibox pcbs aren't small either, big caps won't fit in the small uc16 case...

Guest jimminy

The idea would be to either remount the whole thing in another case or mount 8 of the faders in a new case and use a cable to wire it back to th uc-16, disabling one row of the pots.  In that scenario I could have an 8 channel board with a knob for panning or somethfing else.

I suppose I could do a 16 channel unit with 16 linear faders, then buy another one and use it as-is for other stuff.  It's USB so presumably I could have more than one.  I might be wrong, I'm only assuming, but why not add even more?!

The important thing for me is to be able to switch projects without resetting all the fader positions.  I'm most curious to know if doing something like installing encoders will give me this or if it isn't possible at all.

i'm thinking you could not do it. pots are analog encoders ar digital. this would mean they don't interface the same way. also wouldn't you have to modify the firmware in the device?

70 bucks is pretty cheap, but you get no external midi in, so buy a real midi interface, and build a midibox . you can always start with 8 encoders then later ad more or motorfaders. you don't have to build it all as one super box all at once.

you can do everything you want and more with mbhp.

check out midibox 64e and usb. the usb module looks like a real challenge, so if you don't solder so well you may not want to try.does it have to be usb? do you have a com port? check out the ltc module.

you will need a core,and dinx4 module minimum, for midibox 64e, more dinx4 for more encoders/buttons,doutx4's for leds.

and an lcd too.

lots of good info under the midibox 64e link.( i think i will build one after my sid is finished..