Planing a daw controller need newb advice/info

Fubard

Hi,

In my infinite struggle to make computer sequencing's workflow more fluid, like playing a good workstation keyboard, I've decided to design a custom user interface emulating something like a Kerzweil K crossed w a Roland JD800 and XP series. I'm basically wanting a synth with lots of one, maybe two function controls (no sub sub sub menues or Yamahas function matrix), but using my laptop w Logic Pro to power it using sysex and qwerty. It'll focus primarily on sampler functions but also have basic recording and editing functionality.

Does this sound like something I can do w the midibox platform? If so, where should I start? I've done some analog synth projects so I'm great w an iron but unfamiliar w the midibox platform and took an intro to digital class but it was a while ago.

From what I've seen I feel like I could get a lpc17 and a few dughter boards to run most of this. Can I get the midibox to send sysex? What about qwerty?

Any and all ideas/advise is welcom as I don't know much about the platform other than what I've read on uCapps

Thanks!

Hi Fubard

Yes its possible but considder to use the STM32F4 core because its the sucessor of the LPC17 and the bootloader is easyer to step trough.

Sysex is possibile.

Qwerty i can not follow, is that a Keyboard you whant to connect?

Not to connect a keyboard but to have the controller transmit shortcuts to the daw such as copy, paste, undo, strip silence, save regions as files, import regions to sampler instrument, exc... At the press of a dedicated button for said function. I have an Xkeys box and it works great, but I'd rather have a single system onboard to avoid interactions if at all possible. The NG module looks pretty powerful w all its I/O options avalible, and usb is likely my best bet as I'll be using this for my computer. But can any of these core units be programmed to send key commands at the push of a button?

Oh wait I now see that NG is the software running on the lpc17 or stm32f4 hardware. Ok, that's what I'll go with but can it do qwerty combinations or even just basic arrow keys into the computer?

Edited by Fubard

Sorry to be asking silly questions, there's no total newb section w links to knowledge bases and such. I see this can be used for anything midi and use its usb through for a hacked up xkeys for qwerty. I just found the info section on uCApps.de and will read everything I can regarding all the related hardware, software and functions before posting again. Thanks for the good suggestion novski!

Hi

Midibox does just midi. As far as i know no keyboard emulation is implemented.

But if you have a xKey why dont you program a macro on that? On my xKey stick i can program any keyboard key to any of the buttons on the xKey. So i dont understand what more you are searching for...

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

Just thought I share what I've found so far. I'm considering an all in one type thing so midi control is the majority but I also need the ability to send key commands. Looks like it'll be a dual system in one housing. For Qwerty inputs I found THIS:

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Pages/Boards/index.html

they have several nice options and that portion of implementation should be easy. 

so, theres THAT if ever anyone needs it :)

Edited by Fubard
Error reduction