MB Sid and Raspberry Pi

royal_orchestra

Hi,

I have a question about how to realize a combination of a Raspberry Pi and the Midibox Sid.
I made something like a DSP-FX-Unit with a Raspberry PI, Usb-Soundcard, USB-Midiinterface, some Pots, Buttons and a LCD. Everything in a Steel-Case not much bigger than a Guitar-FX-Stompbox. It is running Puredata on Linux, programming is done via LAN. Among other things it is great to connect my Sid V2 to it and add some digital effects to the Sids.

Now I wonder how I could add a Sid directly into my Puredata-Box.

I have a few GPIOs left - Could I connect a SID-Module directly to the Raspberry, leaving out the USB->MIDI->Core parts? or connect a Core to the GPIOs and reuse parts of the MB-Sid - Software?

All thoughts, advices or hints are highly appreciated...

best regards

post-4049-0-69943000-1432039136_thumb.pn

• 1 year later...

Was searching for another RPi idea and found this thread, but have thought about a similar idea in the last weeks. So with no first hand experience, I would say that it could be do-able. Look into the WiringPi libs, these include an extension for 'HC595s; so it seems easy to use that for the SID Module. The only hitch is the 1MHz clock needed at the SID chip, but a PWM out from the RPi might work. Think you would need 5 GPIO pins- 3 for the SRs and 2 more for /CS and CLK on the SID. 

I'm not sure how to integrate the WiringPi code with PD but think it would involve an external.

OTOH, the easiest would be a larger build, as outlined above by Digineural, USB to midi <-> core8 -> SID. In this case, the SID is a full synth so you don't need to code a synth engine on the Pi; just send midi messages. You could do away with the USB-midi if you setup the GPIO Uart for 31,250 (and add the Midi circuits for In and Out) and use the comport lib in PD. You would have to build the midi messages with-in PD, or use an external maybe.

Sorry I'm not much help but really new with Pi; would like to hear how you get on with your project.

Yogi

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2015 at 8:42 AM, royal_orchestra said:

Hi,

I have a question about how to realize a combination of a Raspberry Pi and the Midibox Sid.
I made something like a DSP-FX-Unit with a Raspberry PI, Usb-Soundcard, USB-Midiinterface, some Pots, Buttons and a LCD. Everything in a Steel-Case not much bigger than a Guitar-FX-Stompbox. It is running Puredata on Linux, programming is done via LAN. Among other things it is great to connect my Sid V2 to it and add some digital effects to the Sids.

Now I wonder how I could add a Sid directly into my Puredata-Box.

I have a few GPIOs left - Could I connect a SID-Module directly to the Raspberry, leaving out the USB->MIDI->Core parts? or connect a Core to the GPIOs and reuse parts of the MB-Sid - Software?

All thoughts, advices or hints are highly appreciated...

best regards

post-4049-0-69943000-1432039136_thumb.pn

OK sorry for another necro bump, but just ran across another project that directly relates-

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&f=38&t=110788

So this consumes alot of the GPIO pins, but it may be useful.

Yogi

Edited by yogi