live recording of overlapping notes

bn99

Hi!

I'm the proud owner of a seq v4. Amazing but overwhelming...:)

What I wanted really bad, coming from the octatrack midi sequencer is being able to record overlapping notes. I though it would be easy, using the PL, but I don't succeed.

What I mean is for example:

step 1: 1 note, length 10 steps

step 5: 1 note, length 10 steps

And this, preferrably, using live recording.

Is this possible? I might have misinterpretated the manual...

thanks!

Jasper

Hi Jasper,

no, unfortunately this isn't possible because of the way how MBSEQ stores MIDI events.

It would require a different concept to store the data (like on a pianoroll known from DAWs) with the disadvantage that some step based features wouldn't work anymore.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks very much for the quick answer, Thorsten!

Too bad, this isn't possible. I will have to get back to the PC to do complex midi recording. I understand the limitations though, and the SEQ can do a lot the pc can't of course... 

I've been thinking though. Could it be a solution to 'spawn'  overlapping notes across multiple tracks? So, if I wan't to record a 'complex'  sequence, I select more than one track (with the same port and channel of course) and the Midibox lays out notes intelligently across the selected channels so overlapping is possible. 

thanks!

Jasper

Hi Jasper,

unfortunately it won't be so easy to add such an option to the firmware.

However, if you are already using a STM32F4 core module, there is hope that the MIDIbox SEQ V4+ Firmware could support "free-style" tracks :)

But I won't start to work on this before end of this year (and I already postponed the start of development by +1 year)

Best Regards, Thorsten.