Small daw controller

JKunelius

Hi all!

I've built a medium size home studio in past few years, and acquired a nice 56 channel D&R Dayner console.

I use it to track into Cubase and to mix otb.

Now I've decided that I want to build a custom Cubase controller that I'm going to house in space of four empty channels inside the Dayner chassis.

At first I thought that I'd use Livid Instruments Brain v2 to do the job, but now I found this midibox thing. It seems to loaded with functions and after spending couple of weeks reading these forums, I decided that I want to 

with midibox to do the job.

As you may guess, I have few questions about my design.

Controller should have:

- 15-25 illuminated buttons for transport, channel selection etc

- 10-20 rotary encoders with led rings

- 2 motorized faders

- jogwheel

- 7 digit display for MTC

- maybe few OLEDs

I have the basic layout mostly sorted out.

So the question is what midibox hardware do I need for this?

Here's what I have in mind (midibox ng):

1 x MBHP_CORE_STM32F4

1 x STM32F4DISCOVERY

1 x MF_NG

2 x DINX4

2 x DOUTx4

1 x MBHP_MIDI_IO

Am I totally in the woods with these? Is anything else required?

And most of all, are there kits available for these boards? I noticed that Smashtv's shop is sold out. 

Cheers,

Juho

Hola and welcome to MIDIbox!

If this is your first MIDIbox project, I'd recommend to start small and extend over time...

With MBNG you have all options to grow your controller and adjust it to your needs, but if you want to do all at once, this might be a quite big step. While everything on your list is basically supported, when fully completed, it will be a complex setup, and you need to dig into the MBNG documentation and the general MIDIbox hardware platform documentation -> ucapps.de is your best friend! :-).

So, the recommendation is as follows:

Make a plan of things you would like to start with immediately. Keep that list small. The hardware module list looks reasonable by the way, but you need to make a few choices regarding the control surface now. As you want to put it in an existing case, you could start with a few illuminated tactile switches (you need to source these from one of the many electronics suppliers) and encoders and put them on veroboard and then put that inside your existing controller box. There is currently a bit of short supply of available LEDring boards, but there are alternatives developed in the community by different users. Just look around and find out, what you want to start with, make a plan, try to get an experimental Core running MBNG and a few controls up and running and report back, when there are further questions! :-)

Many greets and have fun!

Peter