Questions on Motorfaders and Encoders

siddhu

Hi,

Everything going on here is fascinating, and totally blows away 99% of all the commercially available MIDI controllers.

Hats off to all of you who have built your controllers!!

The commercial controllers out there all seem to be pretty much designed for using "conventional" sequencers and audio editors, and I want something that is more of a hybrid between an instrument and a DJ mixer.

I am planning on building a controller to use with Traktor and eventually, another one for Ableton's Live.

So here are my questions. Any and all advice and answers will be highly appreciated.

1) Since Traktor now has midi out, I am thinking of using motorfaders. Are they tough enough to handle rough DJ use?

2) Is there a real difference between the quality and feel of Alps motorfaders and the Penny and Gilles?

3) From reading several posts in the forum, I am under the impression that both the Alps and the P+G motorfaders are touch sensitive. Am I correct in my assumption?

4) The idea of endlessly rotating encoders is easy enough to understand, but how well does soft takeover or snap work with rotary potentiometers that have a 300 degree turn?

1) Have you checked that traktor supports motorfaders? I'm not sure where you can get short alps motorfaders, that would be similar to the length of a crossfader, though you might get one as a spare part for  a Yamaha 01V or 01X or something. I think the motor mechanism might be a hindrance to quck crossfading action, it would put too much friction/weight to do 'the crab' and stuff like that.

2) I don't know, I've used both, in commercial digital mixers, but one of these was a Yamaha 02R, which has crappy motorfader algorithms, so I can't tell. P+G is just perfect! though I don't know where to get them. (possibly available as a spare for the digidesign 002 or similar source , but probably expensive)

3) yes

4) soft takeover works so that when you change screensets in your software, or patches on external hardware, a midi message will only get sent when the knob goes past the current value. In my experience, this is only worth using if it is implemented in the software itself, otherwise you have 2 sets of data to load and save each time. The Novation Nova Synthesiser has soft takeover built in, I think that all hardware and software should!

Hi,

I am already building midibox (almost done) for Traktor DJing...

I don't think you need motorfaders at all, and this MIDI capability is only for sync, so you won't get feedback information. My midibox has only pots  & buttons and works excellent.