perf boards for surface mount

Guest jimminy

Hi All,

Probably the best thing to do would be make a small PC board and mount the surface mount chip on it, then use it like an IC on the perfboard. See http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/surface.html for lots of information on using surface mount technology. The four part article titled Surface Mount Technology - You Can Work With It shows how to do the PC board by routing with Dremel tool. Kinda neat project.

Mickey

Well, how are you going to keep them there without something to solder them to, if you want them without copper? Most parts don't exactly stay in 1 place, even if they have 'hooked legs'. My tactile switches for example have those legs, you can click them in, and they won't fall out. But as soon as you push them they move. not an option as far as i'm concerned...

Guest jimminy

Guys,  Thanks for the responses.  After looking all over online for good prices on copper padded perf boards, I ended up finding them at Radio Shack!  the best price by far, I couldn't believe it, I wasn't even looking for that.  So if you are looking too, try RS cuz like they say: "if you've got questions, we've got...a confused look on our faces".

It's all coming together.  Cheers!

Hi All,

Arumblack, I'm glad the info was of interest.

Jimminy, I've used a dab of RTV silicone to hold parts to perfboards, also lo temp hot glue and sometimes superglue. Pushbuttons, switches, etc. I usually mount through the perfboard same as through a panel i.e. drill a hole and use the mounting hardware on the switch. Makes for a better mechanicaly ridgid mount.

Later,

Mickey