idea ("midi delay"). please help!

Guest benisaloser

Guest benisaloser

i have an idea, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it and this seems like it might be a place to start or somewhere people would know what's going on.  The idea I have been kicking around is basically this:

I want to build a midi "control box" that can keep repeating a "note" (in this case a drum sound), but at a very fast tempo (like maybe somwhere a little under 100 milliseconds between each repeat).  this is basically like a how a delay pedal would work for a guitar when controlling how small or large the delay is, except that I don't want there to be a decay.  My idea was that there would be an lfo, that upon reaching a certain value it would play whatever note you happen to be holding down on a keyboard.  The main point is that I want to control how fast the lfo/repeats are with a foot pedal or knob or both.  Other aspects would be a foot switch for turning it on or off (or in better words, switch between a thru or out signal, if possible without two midi outputs) and a way of switching from one, two, three, four (up to about maybe 7 or 8) then indefinite repeats.  

The closest I have gotten with attaining this was actually with software is the delay (not the audio kind)  in logic audio, the problem with this is that you cannot control how many repeats you want dynamically (ie with automation or with a controller) which kind of makes sense since it is a sequencer.  

I'm sorry if I was too verbose.  The idea is in essence really simple which is why I haven't tried to build my own before.  I also don't know how which is why I don't know if it's possible at least this way.  if it could be done with software (I've heard of "csound" which can do programming stuff for music, but i also don't know how that works) that could be controlled with a controller, I wouldn't mind writing it as long as I could find out how the code works.

please help! and thank you if you do help me.

i've made something a bit like this using pure data.. a midi programming thing similar to max/msp.. pure data is free and can be found at www.pure-data.org

my midi delay and other patches (random note generator etc.) can be found at www.hatstand23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pd

thorsten has already made a delay for the midibox called the magic midi delay, it can be found in the "mios toy of the week" forum

bye for now

best wishes

adam

Guest benisaloser

thanks for answering.

the pure data site seems to be a bad link or maybe its just temporarily down.  :-[

I guess I better just get started learning mios and such... :-/ well i've been meaning to get into programming stuff so its good.

the midi delay thing seems cool but It seems not the same as what i'm doing