power supply for SID

Guest perplx

Guest perplx

Ok, this kit would be my first try at electronics. It's very well documented, except i dont understand about the power supply: Since I havent been able to find an original C64 power supply, do I need to use 2 power supplies (1 for the SID, another for the Core) ? They run at different voltages... Is there some kind of transformer on the PCBs?

Also, if there were mismatched SIDs in a multi-SID system would they have to run on different power supplies? (one at 12V, the other at 15V)

Thins might sound dumb, but i'm new to this, and I don't want to fry anything...

Hi perplx

Ok, this kit would be my first try at electronics

Since powersupplys are a little bit strange when you have no idea of electronics (at least i hade the feeling when i started), i would just calculate a little bit more time than you would expect. But you will need them if want continue DIYing

They run at different voltages... Is there some kind of transformer on the PCBs?

Yes and no. They run at different Voltages but there is no transformer on the PCB´s, there is a bridge rectifier and a voltageregulator on the PCB´s.

The bridge rectifier is for getting a DC voltage out of a AC voltage (eg. transformer) and the voltage regulator, as the name indicates, sets the voltage to a certain point.

So as the core needs 5 volt there is a 5 volt regulator on it.

SID board 12 volt (6581) or 9 volt (8580). The SID board also needs 5 volt which is established trough the connection between core and SID board.

If you build a SID synthesizer with a 6581 chip i would take a 15-18 volt wall-mart AC or DC powersupply for the SID board and a 7-9 volt AC or DC powersupply for the core.

Or you take a little bigger (more ampere) 15-18 volt AC or DC powersupply, take the regulated 12 volt from the SID board (after the voltage regulator of course), put them into an other 9 volt regulator (on a little veroboard) and then to the core.

I did the first method and it works quite well. But the second is also good. One thing i don´t know is which method has lower noise.

Maybe because thats why Thorsten developed his C64 supply adaption.

Here you are always save.

And you can learn the perfect ground managment on Thorsten´s C64 powersupply.

Hope that helps

Hey and folks please correct me when i talk nonsense here

chriss