Programming Bankstick Files

Hi Thorsten

I have made a very bad assumption that MIOS would be able to send Sysex messages which included the Midi Start System Exclusive message F0 and the End System Exclusive message F7.  Your explanation makes it clear to me that it cannot!

I have a reference manual on Midi that states that there can be 16 Midi system messages from decimal 240 to 255 (F0 to FF)

In my system the reset.syx file , the largest, contains several hundred such F0 xx yy zz etc F7 system exclusive messages.

Perhaps the BS Eeproms could be addressed by MIOS and the stored values sent directly to the Sound Module in some way.

I feel very depressed.

Regards Robin

NO NO NO!

The scrambling/descrambling during upload ensures that you can store any values in BankStick, also values between 0xf0 and 0xff - and MIOS can send them of course.

If I would know that your plans are not working, I wouldn't tell you all that stuff...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Dear Thorsten

I believe that I do understand the process of scrambling/descrambling and that the BS will contain the data as in the main.lst including the F0 and F7 bytes.  I also understand that I can download the BS content and convert it back to the original binary form using perl.

There will be no PC in the final design. Therefore, as I understand it, I will not be able to convert the data using PERL and syx2asm.pl.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

I need to be able to send selected multiple sysex strings, each framed by F0 and F7 which are triggered by the organ stop push buttons and the relevant BS files sent to the sound module by midi.

I also need to send the system reset or panic ( 0xFF )  

It is a design goal to avoid the use of a PC in the organ design.

I am sorry to keep trying your patience.

Regards Robin

Hi Robin,

you don't need the PC once the data is in the BankStick. MIOS can send the original data (this means the content of your original .syx file) 1:1 --- maybe this is the point of misunderstanding.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten

Thanks for the input, I was still revising the text!

I have previously looked at the BS output using MIDIOX but it  looked wrong.

For example all the sound module messages have the byte following F0 as 41 (the code for Roland) this was not the case.  

I will reexamine the position again.

Perhaps the problem is that using Midiox is the wrong way to go?

I will test the sytem using a small sysex file and let you know what happens.

Regards Robin

To your additional text: I really don't see the problem. Sending a 0xff? Just write:

movlw   0xff
        call    MIOS_MIDI_TxBufferPut

The problem is that your are thinking about technical aspects which are not relevant. Maybe it's better when you just would play with the code examples I already gave you in order to understand the possibilities. Once you've learned more about sending MIDI events, a discussion would be much easier (or obsolete ;-))

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I have previously looked at the BS output using MIDIOX but it  looked wrong.

For example all the sound module messages have the byte following F0 as 41 (the code for Roland) this was not the case.  

I will reexamine the position again.

why are you not writing about such a problem before assuming something into the wrong direction? This would make the discussion much easier (and shorter)...

I think that there is either a misconfiguration in your program, or you made something wrong during the BankStick upload. A good starting point is to check the BankStick content based on the method described in the bs_xfer example. If the content is like expected (it must contain the original data), you know that your program has an error. In this case just explain how you've setuped the variables of the SysEx sending routine.

Best Regards, Thorsten.