question about ASCII-to-serial/USB switch

Guest blakbeltjonez

Guest blakbeltjonez

hi everyone - i am planning on building a MIDI controller for Ableton Live and i'd like to have as many neccessary functions as possible accesible from the front panel of the MIDIbox.

with Live, you can assign either MIDI or computer key functions - the MIDI part is taken care of with the MIDIbox, but if i want to trigger keyboard commands from a switch on the MIDIbox how would i go about doing that? basically, the additional switches would be like having a USB keyboard plugged into the laptop so i was thinking just have a USB jack on the MIDIbox going to the computer. i thought that perhaps i could just cannibalize a keyboard and use the little USB board and switches from the keys, but as it turns out keyboards have conductive switches coated on a sheet of plastic.

i need these functions for A/B crossfader assign - you can assign via MIDI but it doesn't work all that well, works much better as a key command. anyone out there ever built a feature like that into a MIDIbox or similar device? thanks in advance....