completely new and looking for some guidance

Guest recompas

Guest recompas

hey guys.  I stumbled upon the midibox sid stuff online the other day.  I've been looking for a good way to turn my sid chip into a usable midi synth.  I'm really excited about building a midibox sid and have a few questions.

1.  If i go for the smallest, low cost model, what parts do i need, and can i get everything i need in kit for from the smashTV site?

2.  How difficult is it to build this thing?  I've put together a few efx pedals and filters before, and i'm not bad with soldering, I'm just clueless when it comes to playing with burned images and the dsp stuff.

3.  For the header info, if i were to order the kit from smashTV, what would i need for the midibox sid.  All i want to be able to add to it is an LCD (another question, what should i get here) and one of the memory sticks described on the site.

ANY suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  just reply or email me at recompas at yahoo dot com.

thanks a ton.

-trav

hi trav,

1.  If i go for the smallest, low cost model, what parts do i need, and can i get everything i need in kit for from the smashTV site?

Don´t think so, you only get the pcb´s. But just PM him to be sure.

2.  How difficult is it to build this thing?  I've put together a few efx pedals and filters before, and i'm not bad with soldering, I'm just clueless when it comes to playing with burned images and the dsp stuff.

I can just tell you my experiences. I builded quite a lot analog synths before and after some ususal troubleshooting the SID also worked. The hardest thing was the JDM, PERL and MPLAP and all the Midistuff. But with some patience you will figure out.

3.  For the header info, if i were to order the kit from smashTV, what would i need for the midibox sid.  All i want to be able to add to it is an LCD (another question, what should i get here) and one of the memory sticks described on the site.

You get the Eeprom and the Pic at www.microchip.com as free samples. Don´t know about the LCD because sometimes they have other controllers than supportet (maybe someone else can give advice here), but a standard LCD from a decent supplier will work. Look here: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_lcd.html

Read the main page as often as you can. I am sure all your questions will be answered. The Ucapps stuff is like an adventure game.

Have fun.

chriss