Switch between MIDI and serial?

SeverityOne

I just finished soldering my first module, the LTC. Took me the best parts of two evenings. :)

Now I was wondering: is it possible, one way or another, to make a hardware switch between the MIDI I/O and the serial I/O? I realise there's the issue of different speeds too, but that should be somewhat easier to solve than a short-circuit.

Thanks,

- Peter

I just finished soldering my first module, the LTC. Took me the best parts of two evenings. :)

Now I was wondering: is it possible, one way or another, to make a hardware switch between the MIDI I/O and the serial I/O? I realise there's the issue of different speeds too, but that should be somewhat easier to solve than a short-circuit.

Thanks,

- Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done an LTC but it seems like either the max232 or opto is stuffed, while the other is not...

Would it be possible to just add some DIP switches an toggle the whole bank of them on or off for each? kind of inelegant but, if its just physical connections and nothing else, that seems a cheap way to go...?

If that makes any sense (I have no LTC knowledge) then keep in mind that most DIP banks have a quite-low number of toggle actions before they break.. keep an eye on the specs for which ever you might use..

pure speculation,

Marr

I haven't done an LTC but it seems like either the max232 or opto is stuffed, while the other is not...

Would it be possible to just add some DIP switches an toggle the whole bank of them on or off for each? kind of inelegant but, if its just physical connections and nothing else, that seems a cheap way to go...?

If that makes any sense (I have no LTC knowledge) then keep in mind that most DIP banks have a quite-low number of toggle actions before they break.. keep an eye on the specs for which ever you might use..

pure speculation,

Marr

hi,

a simple single pole changeover switch could be used to select wether midi-in comes from the max232 or the opto. This avoids the short circuit of the opto and the max232 trying to drive the core's midiRx line in opposite directions.

Midi-out connected to both max232 and midiout does not imply a short circuit, however the baud rate will be wrong for one of the outputs.

If you use one double pole changeover (switching both midi-in as above and midi-out) you will avoid sending the wrong baud rate if both types of devices are connected to your midibox.

Of course when you flick the switch to change midi/rs232 you must change the baudrate in the midibox.

cheers

hi,

a simple single pole changeover switch could be used to select wether midi-in comes from the max232 or the opto. This avoids the short circuit of the opto and the max232 trying to drive the core's midiRx line in opposite directions.

Midi-out connected to both max232 and midiout does not imply a short circuit, however the baud rate will be wrong for one of the outputs.

If you use one double pole changeover (switching both midi-in as above and midi-out) you will avoid sending the wrong baud rate if both types of devices are connected to your midibox.

Of course when you flick the switch to change midi/rs232 you must change the baudrate in the midibox.

cheers

Hi,

And then, if you have one more contact on switch, free DIN pin and some coding skills, you could modify application to switch baud rates together with physical interface.. (MIOS_MIDI_InterfaceSet function)

;)

Bye, Moebius

Hi,

And then, if you have one more contact on switch, free DIN pin and some coding skills, you could modify application to switch baud rates together with physical interface.. (MIOS_MIDI_InterfaceSet function)

;)

Bye, Moebius