FINALLY figured it out, but need more help!

jdutcher

ok, so the parts for the voltage converter arrived today and my display works now!!!!  however, it's giving me some gibberish!  >:( >:( >:(

here's what the readout looks like:

first 2 seconds:

(row of blocks)

next 1 second:

(centered)

[glow=green,2,300]MIOS!W1/7!!!!!!!

)C)!3115!U/Kmose[/glow]

after that, it goes to this and stays there (until buttons are pressed):

(just off-center to the right)

[glow=green,2,300]!!1   C !1  1---(blinking cursor)[/glow][glow=green,2,300]Iouesoam!Qauci!![/glow]

when i move the encoder, the number in front of the "C" above increases or decreases accordingly.  when i hit a button, the screen displays a bunch of weird stuff, but i can see "OSC", "WAV", etc. here and there (I can post pics if needed).

when i hit the menu button, it goes back to the "!!  C!...." screen.

what is wrong?!  the wiring is ok, i think.  the fact that some of the characters are where/what they should be is very strange!  please help!  i'm almost there!

p.s. the regulator is still getting pretty hot, even with a massive heat sink

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ok, i have NO idea what's going on.  i just spent a while browsing the forum, downloading music, etc. waiting for a response to my post (not that i expected one tonight :)).  then, for no real reason, i flicked on my sid box just to read the gibberish again and think of an explanation and.....BAM.....it works.  the lcd is outputting exactly what it is supposed to.  i guess theres a loose wire somewhere or something?   ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

well, hmmm, i guess i'm all set.  i'll let everyone know if it starts acting up again.  for now, i'm gonna sit down and start playing!!!!

thanks for everything,

james

ok, so i figured out what was wrong:

my lcd had a mini header on it and the socket i was using on my lcd cable was too big, so the contacts barely touched.  i shaved the end of it down so it fits better and now the lcd is working no problem.  i'm so excited!!!  thanks for all of the help.

now i just need to figure out how to use this thing... ;)