How to Test Basic Core and LCD?

Guest epochsounds

Guest epochsounds

OK, I got my LCD to work... so this is a modification to my message.  Following is what I originally wrote, followed by my solution.

----I have my core assembled with an LCD.  The bootstrap loaded came uploaded and as I've read it should, it would send from midi out the proper code every two seconds, so that works.  I uploaded mios and it seemed succesful as the midi-message-every-two-seconds-thing stopped.  I then tried uploading several applications posted in the mios download section.  I really want my LCD to do something other than have the backlight turn on and off before I go forward.  Should I have seen an letters appear yet or is there some reason I havn't?  Does anyone know how I can get letters to appear?  ----

What I di to fix this was attach a potentiometer to the second and third terminal on the LCD, after the connection to the core.  

• 6 months later...

i have the same situation almost. I`ve build my core module based on pic18f452, i`ve burned the bootstrap loader, then i`ve conected it to the PC (via midi) and burned the mios, and a application for midibox16e ,but on the display it`s shown only the lower line wich is flickering sometimes...what means that? it`s possible a bad connection or what is happening?

im having similar issues with my lcd....at first the bottom row of blocks appeared then i found a wire had come disconnected.....then after I fixed it both rows appeared.

I uploaded mios and the sid apps and checked it out with midiox and everything appears to be good...but still no text just blocks on the lcd....

Sean

i think not... i`ve just verified the connections of the lcd and the pic and everithing seems ok..the display is connected to the pic in the right way...but when i`ve powered the module again the result is the same: that flickering line.

I`ve even burned the bootstrap loader and the mios with an aplication again.nothing happened.

Could the quartz be wrong type? how could i know if it`s a parallel cut type? It`s inscriptions are: SJK 10.000 , and has a small capsule.

I forgot to mention that i have no other module connected to the core except the lcd... could that affect the readings? i think not

yes, not the quartz was the problem ;) i`ve found that 2 pins of the pic (27 and 28 i think) were touched by a small tin piece...after ` have spared them everything works fine...the mios and aplication were uploaded correctly and the core works (i`ve tested with midi ox and vmidibox 64e)

the display it`s a ampire ac162byiby8405, and it seems to work

thank you