some questions on mios

Greetings to everybody at the community.

several years ago i looked for a project to make music from that old sid chip in the busted c64, and didn't have much luck. last week i started looking again and found this marvellous site. the sid engine on this is staggering!

i am not new to electronics, though i am a novice or an ocassional dabbler. though midibox is a new domain for me.

i feel that i have everything planned for my first exploit which i think is going to be just the basic core/sid setup, but i'm going to buy parts for the control surface part a.

i am a bit confused on mios though.

for the basic module i install the bootstrap then mios then the sid app? i take it the app file is just setup_6581_without_cs.syx?

if i continue on to part a, do i just burn setup_6581_with_cs.syx to the pic?

will anything need edited first?

thanks in advance, and thanks for the patience! :)

Rowan Hall

Yes, you are correct, although you can load the with_cs.syx app even if you don't have it yet. That way you won't have to reload it later. You won't need to edit anything if you keep the same pin assignments Thorsten used for the DIN/DOUT boards. If you do change the pin assignments(for the buttons, LED's and encoders), you will need to make the changes in the .inc files and then reassemble the source code using the MPLAB IDE.

Justin

cheers for sorting that query for me justin! very much appreciated!

all i got to do is get the parts and get soldering!

i cant wait to fire it up and give it a go! but i'm sure i'll be needing help at a later stage! :)

with the optomised psu parts i'm having problems finding the rectifier, would it be alright just to use four rectifier diodes? also the caps, will two basic electrolytic and two basic ceramic ones be fine?

thanks again,

Rowan