advice on testing strategy

RowanHall

hey guys,

smashtvs (sublime) pcbs arrived yesterday and i have them all ready. as a newbie, i was wondering on advice for testing midibox rigs.

should i wire it in a basic core/sid configuration, with two basic psu's? or should i use the optomized circuit (also untested)? i currently have the core and sid configured for use with this setup (voltage regulator removed and jumpers added).

how should i go about testing all my kit without destroying it! :)

Rowan Hall

I know there is a post and a link here on the site for testing.

I personally would just do the core, put in the parts for the psu regulation, test the regulator to see if it is working right.

Then solder the rest of the components, including sockets. Leave the ICs out and the lcd unplugged, and do another test to see if the voltages are right.

If I find the link with the test info for the core I'll drop it in the post, I am heading off to work so I don't have time at the moment to search for it..

Good luck

-S

Pre-flight testing!   ;D

There is this from the Soldering guide section of the CORE page:

Apply power to the module after all parts except the PIC and the optocoupler are mounted.
Check the voltage levels between the most important pins with a multimeter (analog or digital
doesn't matter) before plugging the PIC and the 6N138 into the socket:
IC1:MCLR(1) - IC1:Vss(12) = 5V
IC1:Vdd(11) - IC1:Vss(12) = 5V
IC1:Vdd(32) - IC1:Vss(31) = 5V
IC2(8) - IC2:(5) = 5V
And this quote from the Soldering guide section of the SID page:
Mount all the parts with the exception of the three ICs.
Apply power to the module and check the voltage level between pin IC1:Vdd(28) and IC1:Vss(14)
 - it must be 12V for the 6581 SID, 9V for the 8580 SID.

Now connect port J2 of the SID module with port J10 of the core module (you could use the cable
from the JDM module if you already made it) - ensure the following voltage levels:
IC1:Vcc(25) - IC1:Vss(14) = 5V
IC2:Vdd(16) - IC2:Vss(8) = 5V
IC3:Vdd(16) - IC3:Vss(8) = 5V

Personally I would use the same power supply for testing that you will use with the final design.

Have fun!

Smash

thanks dudes for the help, just thought i'd let you know that everything went fine. i just connected it the basic sid/core setup which means the optomized psu board remains untested! i shall deal with that later methinks!

for testing i have one psu per unit, the sid psu is a 15v, 2500mA laptop psu, could i just connect this to both modules?

the next task is mios! :)

cheers,

Rowan Hall

it seems that all tasks have been covered on pcb modding for mios 1.7 except the core/sid connection. if i am just using a normal psu, and not the commodore one, do i just connect 6 pins as described below?

The SCLK line of the SID module has also to be connected to pin (#28/RD5) of the core module. Desolder the cable from junction CORE:J10:SC and solder it to CORE:J10:MD. See also mbhp_sid_c64_psu.pdf, mbhp_4xsid_c64_psu.pdf and mbhp_4xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf.

hey guys i have hit a spot of bother...

my current setup

12v psu supplying core

15v psu supplying sid

all voltages checked out perfectly with both modules and also when i connected them together 1:1.

now i have modified the connecting cable from the 8pin 1:1 config to the 6 pin config

core -> sid

-------------

sd -> sd

rc -> rc

vs -> vs

mu -> mu

vd -> vd

md -> sc

the problem is that i'm not getting a sysex prompt from the core to midiox and can't upload anything

i have tested the midi input of my pc with a midi controller

but not the pcs midi output, could this be the problem?

though surely i should still get a 'request for upload' even if the pcs output doesn't work?

help required urgently!

Rowan Hall

i decided to do more testing...

the 'request for upload' prompt now comes up repeating waiting for my upload.

i am still unable to send the mios to the pic. i have tested my pcs midi out port by looping the midi cable and sending a sysex command, and it appears to work.

i also did various tests in the midi troubleshooting section, and all is well. the optocoupler test where you remove the pic and short the middle two pins of j11 also worked fine.

sysexbox still crashes when the 'request for upload' arrives... anybody know why this happens?

the sid module is connected to the core as explained above? should i try without the sid?

i am totally confused! :s