Anyone designing for Ableton Live?

GooseGossage

This is incredibly interesting.  I had no idea that there were so many people out there interested in designing their own midi controllers.  Anyone working on anything especially for Ableton Live?    Where can I go to read the basics about building my own midi controller?  Where do I start the learning process?

You need to:

- know how to solder

- get your pcbs (probably from SmashTV)

- get your parts (probably from SmashTV)

- get your PIC programmed (probably from SmashTV)

- get a case for the Midibox

- build it

- get a panel for the thing (the shaeffer panel service will make a nice one for you, if you want stuff to look good)

don't get too much into the specifics of the panel. you'll probably want to change stuff around once it's ready, so it's best to get a pretty universal configuration.

i'm looking into ableton myself. i'd suggest making a panel of vertical stripes. each stripe to have a 10cm fader, and 3-4 knobs, each with a button. you could make them into encoders, actually. try both - make one of the rows out of encoders and not knobs, or something. maybe add a fader bank on the right somewhere so it's neat and looks clean.

we all know designing the perfect box is the greatest dream. truth is though that it's not about the box... once you start using it, you'll forget whether the knob is red or black :)