Working and non-working sid

sjakie

Hi guys,

Got the SID working for the first time. Jay  ;D

But.....

I've included two mp3s. Both are recorded at the same (highest) input levels for my computer sound card. Both are also recorded from the same board (simple exchanged sids). Note that no input is used on the sid (the input is grounded as shown in optimized psu schematic, which I use)

First part of each example records the SID output without notes being played, after a few seconds some notes are played.

As you can hear the 'badsid' example has a lot of noise and the actual sound is hardly hearable between it.

The second example (!! watch out this SID works so volume is high compared to first !!)  has normal level of sound but still with quite some noise.

My questions are;

- What do you think of the first example? Is this the sound of a dead SID?

- What do you think of the second example? Does it have too much noise?

Example 1; (bad?) http://80.69.73.187/badsid1.mp3

Example 2; (ok?) http://80.69.73.187/sid2.mp3 (Again; watch out; starts quitely but playing notes is loud!)

Thanks

Ok, thx for the check illogik. I read about the sid bug in old posts so guess I'm ok with that one.

I forgot to mention that there also minor clicks when changing patch. But I'm guessing that's normal with SID too.

(maybe it is an idea to post these raw samples somewhere to give others a indication as well. I couldn't attach the to the post as max size is 128KB)