MBSID 1.7 and a joystick for filter

Jurbo

Hi again!

I hope I'm not missing something obvious here, tried searching the forum but couldn't find any help.

So, how do I modify the MBSID 1.7 app to accept my analog joystick (2 pots, of course) to control the filter cutoff/resonance?

With the kind help of you guys I managed to do it with version 1.6, but it doesn't seem to go the same way with 1.7. For starters, in the 1.7 zip package there doesn't seem to be files like sid_init.inc and sid_ain.inc, that could be easily modified to accomodate the joystick. I tried fiddling around in the main.asm file of the 1.7, and borrowing some lines of code from the older files and the sid_ain.inc file, but as I'm no programmer, it didn't work (I didn't really expect it to, either)... Some simple programming, like reassigning DIN pins went ok, much to my surprise!

I hope this joystick thing isn't actually impossible? Please, don't let it be so...  ???

No-one able to help? Not even the Big Man, Thorsten (ok, I know you have one thousand and one projects going on, but I think this would benefit others too)?

My hardware is now 100% complete, I only need to activate the joystick... It's strange to feel excited and full of joy, but yet in desperate need, all at once. I guess this is only possible in the Midibox world...  ;D ??? :'( :P

No-one able to help? Not even the Big Man, Thorsten (ok, I know you have one thousand and one projects going on, but I think this would benefit others too)?

oh great, people are buying stuff an begging me for a solution regardless of the effort from my side... do I really have to answer to each posting, or wouldn't it be better to give me my time to complete unfinished plans (wouldn't this even more benefit for the community?)

Joystick driver: beside of the link given by TL you should take a look into this posting

http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/forum/index.php?topic=1783.0

And a general statement: if the community is not able to create a proper documentation of such "quick hacks", my motivation to publish even more solutions will go down more and more. Because I've the impression that each time I'm doing this I'll have more effort in advance than I really want. The situation could be much better if you wouldn't only "consume" such contributions, but would also give something back.

We have a Wiki, we have a lot of webspace at the midibox server (e.g. for diagrams and pictures), nothing prevents you from writing docs.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Addendum: the new LFO analog source option is maybe a better solution to utilize a joystick.

But if you want to control not only the LFO targets, but also other parameters with the joystick, then the AIN extension which I developed for d2k's box is the better way (however, the LFO possibilities are more powerfull since it also allows you to control the depth and update rate)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Sorry, Thorsten, if I sounded like another crying baby joining a long queue of crying babies, which I really wasn't trying to do. Actually, I was trying to include some humour and even tried to show that I understand your situation. I have huge appreciation for your dedication and effort, and I'm even more impressed by the fact that you are giving the less knowledgeable a chance to build these unique musical instruments for free.

My problem rose from the change of version from MBSID 1.6 to 1.7. The old conversations, that the links point to, that pulled me through with 1.6 don't seem to help now with 1.7. Okay, that's my own problem, no-one has any obligation to help me out there. Reading between the lines of your answers, I suppose the AIN driver does lie somewhere in the files of the 1.7 and I just haven't looked deep enough - none of the file names really point towards anything involving AIN and the files which I have gone through and partly understood don't do that either. I will go through every file and try to understand it all (which won't be easy, but well, life always isn't).

About my own contributions to the community: yes, I may not be one of the most valuable members of the community, since with my expertise (or lack of it) I can't really do a lot for the more advanced, but to help the beginners with the more simple questions. And that I have done and will do. I don't think I'll ever be much of a Midibox guru.

But anyway, I'll try to dig deeper into the files and sort it out, I'm still hoping to get the joystick filter. I really didn't think I was making a stupid question (I have done that in the past, that's for sure). Thank you Thorsten for everything and all the best (and hey, why not take a some time off every now and then to rest that over-revving brain of yours).  :)

Oh, and just to sum up my feelings so that there is no misunderstanding - ALL MIDIBOX STUFF RULE BIG TIME!!!  :)