Sid outputs low volume High note pitch when receiving serial data

SounDuke

I built the minimal hardware requirements for midibox sid and uploaded the midibox sid 8580 withouth CS on the pic. Just to test, I connected an LCD to the core and tried to send some notes to the sid with midiOX. After power on, I hear a high pitch note for a while, then the hum of the 9v voltage. If I send a midi event, I hear continously the high pitched note, sounds like the Sid resets itself when serial data is received. What do you think? All connections seem to be okay

Well, the transformer is stabilized and switched to 9V, but the effective current is 10V so I think it would be bad to leave out the rectifier and the voltage regulator.. Maybe the cause is the lcd, my transformer delivers 500mA and the 7805 in the core gets hot. I haven't a PSU so I was thinking to put two separate alimentations since my midibox has a new mios implemented function: MIOS_TIMER_COOK CHICKENS :D. However my intention was to build step C, which values for the transformers do you suggest for the separate alimentations (I'm going to use the C64 power connector and switch, but no PSU) with all sid modules stuffed with 8580?

Well, the transformer is stabilized and switched to 9V, but the effective current is 10V so I think it would be bad to leave out the rectifier and the voltage regulator..

Effective voltage, that is.. Good thinking - PSU is not regulated well enough to power SID module 9VDC directly, but on the other hand: 10VDC is NOT enough, if rectifier and regulator are in place: Rectifier has the diode drops and the regulator needs 2v or more headroom (input voltage must be 2v+ higher, that the output voltage of the regulator) in the input to start regulating properly.

You could switch your power supply to the higher voltage (to power SID properly), but then regulator in the core module will heat up even more :P (You could try heat sink the regulator in the core)

Maybe getting the C64 PSU would be a good idea...

Bye, Moebius