HOW TO GET JDM WORKING ON WIN XP

ziGi_cro

This is my story....

When I first connected the JDM and did the measuring procedure i had realy strange readings. I red every post with JDM troubleshooting and loading up a bootloader. I tried everything that was posted here, tried 8 computers, external power and so on . I didnt giv up, in 100 combinations of settings and io drivers only one worked.

This are my readings from pc at home (settings mentioned in ucapps page/JDM MODULE)

PIN 1 (MCLR#)  - PIN 12/31 VSS = 12.9V 

DURING READING = 1.5V

Other reading where probbably fine (MOST TROUBLE I HAD, I HAD WITH MCLR AND - PIN 1)

PROGRAMING ERROR

NEXT TIME A STARTED IC PROG

PIN 1 (MCLR#)  - PIN 12/31 VSS =  0.5 V !!!!

PC WITH WIN 98

PIN 1 (MCLR#)  - PIN 12/31 VSS =  0.5 V !!!!  Same thing!!!

ANOTHER XP PC

PIN 1 (MCLR#)  - PIN 12/31 VSS =  0.5 V !!!!  Same thing!!!

So I accidently, while I was measuring, MCLR voltage I started with moving the cable and i dicovered voltage rising up to 14-15V and back again!!!!

The cable was new and I was fine, conector too, and everything else.

So I knew there is some how a way to get 14-15V on MCLR ( with no external power), and during the reading too.

After that it hit me, I dont know where from:  I`ll try  IO delay mode : 4 !!!!!!!  (THAT IS THE ONLY DELAY VALUE THAT WORKED!!!)

THESE ARE CONFIGs  (XP WIN)

IO DELAY mode : 4

TALIO SYS driver (http://www.talkingelectronics.com/FreeProjects/MultiChipPgmr/MultiChipPgmr-P3.html) - instructions on the site

WINDOWS API

Enabled MCLR as VCC (I2C menu)

Enabled Vcc control for JDM

THIS IS HOW I GOT MY JDM WORKING AND PROGRAMING the PIC !!!!

Best regards thorsten, I hope this will hel others because we all now how can JDM be frustrating.  The JDM is a final stage in any MIDI box project, and when u get everything done, all you have left is PROGRAMING the pic so you get crazy when it doesnt work. (I did!)

ziGI_cro

Hi,

I can understand your frustration, too much things are playing together: JDM parts/mainboard/operation system/drivers/IC prog software, with so much error sources it can be a long way to find the reason for a failure. I/O delay 4 is maybe the only working solution for your PC(s), but why are other people happy with other delay values? Don't know...

In order to improve the situation I've already developed the new MBHP_BURNER which should work much more reliable. I think the best way is to remove the MBHP_JDM page once the MBHP_BURNER layout is done, so that nobody stumbles accross such problems anymore.

Best Regards, Thorsten.